Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Dandelion Mead: Has anyone ever tried this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Interesting, how can you tell there is no loss of aroma or flavor loss? What do you mean appropriate temperature, I have never heard that in meadmaking before that there was a target temp? Just to make sure I got your procedure, you boil the water for the flowers, turn off the heat and immediatly add your honey to water that was just boiling a moment ago? WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadist View Post
Thanks for the inquiry WVMJ. I've just found that this way has proven to be effective for me. I have tried several different ways/different temps - I have even made attempts at boiling the water *gasp. I like this technique because like Marshmallow rightly assumed, there's little aroma/delicate flavor loss, and it allows somebody without a thermometer (or a lazy person with) to easily add the honey to water at an appropriate temperature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
meadist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ
Interesting, how can you tell there is no loss of aroma or flavor loss? What do you mean appropriate temperature, I have never heard that in meadmaking before that there was a target temp? Just to make sure I got your procedure, you boil the water for the flowers, turn off the heat and immediatly add your honey to water that was just boiling a moment ago? WVMJ
I am just basing this recipe on my experience... I boil water for the dandelion tea, wait for the rest to cool to a simmer, then add the honey, raisins and yeast nutrient. I find that the water at this temp dissolves the honey and nutrient very easily and breaks dorm the raisins a bit.

Let me know if you have some suggestions to improve the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply