Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > d47 yeast at 78 degrees

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
msarro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default d47 yeast at 78 degrees

Hey everyone. SWMBO and I have disagreements about the temperature to keep our house at. In summer I prefer cool temperatures, whereas shell put on a sweater at 80 degrees. Pair that with high power bills lately, and our house has been positively roasting. I can turn the ac up while I'm home, but when I leave she'll shut it off.

I'd like to kick off a mead I've been putting together a recipe for, but my concern is that the coolest part of our house is the basement. It has an average temperature of 78 degrees f. Is it pointless to even try at that temp? I have an ale going ATM which seems to be happily bubbling, but I'm still new to meads. I'm concerned that if I don't start soon I won't have it by the time I'd like (our wedding, oct 2013).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Lots of yeasts will ferment fine at 78, but you don't want to run a batch with D47 above 70F/21C because above that, its known to produce fusels.

And I presume you don't want a batch that tastes "chemically".....

Just go with a more temp tolerant yeast. Tailor the recipe for 12-14% ABV, for ease of fermentation, then back sweeten it.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
Vespa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can personally vouch for the D47 and fusels when the temp is too high. You could try the swamp cooler approach. Get a tub filled with water and put frozen water bottles in it once or twice a day, or an apparatus like this:

https://www.cool-brewing.com/

There are lots of threads on this forum of people using this method (mostly in the beer brewing threads).

Bottled: Belgian Special Dubbel
Aging:Blueberry Strawberry Melomel, Blood Orange and Cranberry Melomel

Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespa View Post
I can personally vouch for the D47 and fusels when the temp is too high. You could try the swamp cooler approach. Get a tub filled with water and put frozen water bottles in it once or twice a day, or an apparatus like this:

https://www.cool-brewing.com/

There are lots of threads on this forum of people using this method (mostly in the beer brewing threads).
Or say bollocks to D47 and make.the batch with K1V-1116. A superior yeast, especially for traditionals......

Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
MrSweet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have the same issue in the summer time also; its a bit too hot for D47 in my house too (although I think I got lucky with the batch I made in April before this knowledge was imparted to me - it tastes awesome).

A member on the forums suggested I use Lalvin KV-1116 if you can't keep your temp below 68* F. The batch I made two days ago was a show mead with KV-1116 and its bubbling away like a champ.

Just for ghits & shiggles, what I made;

4 Gal Distilled water
10 G Lalvin KV-1116
12 G Fermaid-K
15 LBS. Orange Blossom honey
1 TSP - Yeast Nutrient
2/3 TSP - Yeast energizer

No-heat method used - near OCD sanitation practices employed.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
MrSweet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

HA, Fatbloke beat me to it by two minutes

Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Yep, D-47 @ 78* F. will throw some massive fusels & make mead that tastes like solvent/fuel/rubber stopper. D-47 needs to ferment on the cool side, like 62* F.
Those fusels may eventually age out, but it'll take a while. It took 3 years for the fusels to age out of a melomel I made in summer with D-47.
I'd wait till I had better temp control to start that fermentation. A different strain might give you acceptable results at those higher temps, it's your choice.
Regards, GF.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I recomend 71B. It does have a temp tolerance of up to like 82. So your 78 degree should be just fine. It runs clean like D47. The one note of caution that I have found is that you don't let it stand on the lees for months at a time. Rack it off of the primary promptly when the fermentation slows down or when the lees are about 1/2 to 1/4 inch and is seems to have slowed down. Then rack when ever it is at 1/4 inch of lees.

I have had no ill effects at the temps mentioned.

Matrix

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
msarro
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
I recomend 71B. It does have a temp tolerance of up to like 82. So your 78 degree should be just fine. It runs clean like D47. The one note of caution that I have found is that you don't let it stand on the lees for months at a time. Rack it off of the primary promptly when the fermentation slows down or when the lees are about 1/2 to 1/4 inch and is seems to have slowed down. Then rack when ever it is at 1/4 inch of lees.

I have had no ill effects at the temps mentioned.

Matrix
This yeast looks perfect! I'll try to pick it up at lunch. The issue I see with the KV-1116 is the tolerance to 18% and higher, which would most likely leave me with a very dry mead (not really what I'm going for - I want to end up with something sweet without having to backsweeten).

Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarro View Post
This yeast looks perfect! I'll try to pick it up at lunch. The issue I see with the KV-1116 is the tolerance to 18% and higher, which would most likely leave me with a very dry mead (not really what I'm going for - I want to end up with something sweet without having to backsweeten).
I fully understand where you're coming from, but unless you want to have to mess around with a batch, and potentially have to use extra stages during the make (the more meddling, the greater the risk of infection), then its really the easiest way to achieve what you're aiming at.......

Besides, if you took a batch to the logical extreme with K1V, then sweetened it, bingo..... sack mead.

Oh, and don't forget, the published tolerance for yeast strains, alludes to grape musts. You can exceed that with honey musts if you step feed etc.......

Quick Reply