Cyser Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palecricket1

Reaction score
K not quite sure whether this fits in the cider or the mead forum... Trying to get some cyser in so I'll have a stash for Christmas time :D When I buy a commerical hard cider, it's clear. Sparkling cider, clear. However, whenever I got regular, soft cider, it's cloudy. The cloudiness, I find, adds a greater complexity and body and astringency. But is there some reason why commercial ciders are clear? Does the murk interfere with the yeast or something? I'm also wondering if I should use apple juice or commercial soft cider as a base for my recipe. Pressing my own juice isn't an option unless I magically acquire a press sometime soon :p

The cloudiness, I find, adds a greater complexity and body and astringency. But is there some reason why commercial ciders are clear? Does the murk interfere with the yeast or something?

I can tell you've been drinking the mass-marketed stuff! ;) Not all ciders are created equal, as I can tell you're starting to guess. I enjoy a good, traditional "scrumpy" from the old country, as well as farmhouse French ciders when I can find them. I can guarantee that none of them would sacrifice flavor for appearance. These types of ciders are often bottled right out of the bright tanks w/o clarification agents or filtration which can strip flavor "noids". That's why we make our own! :)

Check out the Cider & Perry page @ http://www.ciderandperry.co.uk/ for some great ideas & recipes. :)

Beertracker said:
I can tell you've been drinking the mass-marketed stuff! ;) Not all ciders are created equal, as I can tell you're starting to guess. I enjoy a good, traditional "scrumpy" from the old country, as well as farmhouse French ciders when I can find them.

yep. but mass market's all I can get a hold of. **sigh** if only I had the luxory of being able to buy the good stuff. Even the farmer's market doesn't have much better of a selection, and they usually have the best selection around.

Latest posts

Back