Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Mead Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/)
-   -   Cyser (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/cyser-453272/)

wildlife1 01-13-2014 01:42 AM

Cyser
 
Have a quick question, fellow mead makers.
If I make a cyser recipe and change out the apple cider
and swap in cherry cider is it still a cyser ?:confused:

loveofrose 01-13-2014 11:37 AM

Nope. Now it is a melomel.

MarshmallowBlue 01-13-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveofrose (Post 5818494)
Nope. Now it is a melomel.

Nope to your Nope: Cherries or Apples are both cysers.

loveofrose 01-13-2014 05:48 PM

Well then. I learn something new everyday!

Arpolis 01-13-2014 06:18 PM

Just to stir the pot a little. Using the ligic that any fruit crushed and loosly strained is a cider if you make a mead with cut up apples and or apple juice rather than cider. Is it then a melomel ir do we want to calls those Cysers?

MarshmallowBlue 01-13-2014 06:21 PM

I'd call it a cyser, but that's just me.

Perrys
Pyments
Cysers
and all those other fruit specific meads are all just sub-genres of melomel in my book. I don't think anyone would call you a liar for calling a mead with 4 pounds of apples and 2.5 lbs of honey a cyser by any means.

SouthernYankee 01-13-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue (Post 5818882)
Nope to your Nope: Cherries or Apples are both cysers.

I thought in order for Cherries to be a Cyser it would have to be mixed WITH Apples...If the Cherries are the sole fruit then It would be called a melomel?
:confused:

SouthernYankee 01-13-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue (Post 5819551)
I'd call it a cyser, but that's just me.

Perrys
Pyments
Cysers
and all those other fruit specific meads are all just sub-genres of melomel in my book. I don't think anyone would call you a liar for calling a mead with 4 pounds of apples and 2.5 lbs of honey a cyser by any means.

Rgr That!
As long as it taste good and goes down smooth!
:mug:

MarshmallowBlue 01-13-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernYankee (Post 5819553)
I thought in order for Cherries to be a Cyser it would have to be mixed WITH Apples...If the Cherries are the sole fruit then It would be called a melomel?
:confused:

Actually I'm not sure on that. I have a friend borrowing my Compleat Meadmaker, can anyone check the mead types part and see what cyser is? Or I could Tweet the man himself.

SouthernYankee 01-13-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue (Post 5819566)
Actually I'm not sure on that. I have a friend borrowing my Compleat Meadmaker, can anyone check the mead types part and see what cyser is? Or I could Tweet the man himself.

Page 51 of the Making your Own Mead Book.
Cyser: Adding Honey to Apple Juice.

No other Fruit is mentioned...Just Apples and honey.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.