current projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooomanycolors

Reaction score
Currently I have:
6 gallon goldenrod
5 gallon allspice berry and cinnamon
6 gallon cherry melomel
6 gallon grapefruit melomel
6 gallon peach melomel with possible vanilla

my plan is for anything with fruit to rack on top of the fruit in secondary. I currently have 7lb or grapefruit and 7lb of peaches, im waiting for cherry to come in season. should this be enough fruit? and for the vanilla im thinking 5 of 6 beans again should this be enough? and how should I add all the fruit and vanilla? thanks for the help in advance!!!

:ban: :ban: :ban:

I've always been told ~1# of fruit per gallon. As far as Vanilla, 5 or 6 seems high but I'm certainly no expert.
IIRC, 2-3 was what was used by my buddy when he did a Vanilla porter and it was perfect. Since, in theory, mead would be a more subtle flavor than a porter I would think that 5 or 6 would be pretty strong. Of course, in theory mead will age a lot longer than his porter did so it may just mellow.

I could very well be totally wrong, though.

nb

I would recommend starting with 1 lb of fruit per gallon, but if you want the fruit flavor to really come out and dominate, you will want to up it most likely, though I am not sure how true this will be for grapefruit. When finished, my blueberry cider will end up with just about 2 lbs per gallon to get a good strong blueberry presence.

I used 1lbs of fruit per gallon, and used fruit juice to add to the flavor. So blueberry mead got blueberry juice, cherry mead got cherry juice, etc, etc.

so for fruit i guess im ok, but now my question is the vanilla beans? am i planning on too many? and what would be the best way to use them?

I have personally never used beans... only extract (1oz in 5 gallons). If you are concerned about too much, then only add half of your beans. You can always add more later. The alcohol in the mead will make quick work of the beans.

Latest posts

Back