Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Critique My Raspberry Melomel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Bush_84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Critique My Raspberry Melomel

So I started my 2nd mead today. I am going to make it a raspberry melomel. Just wanted to toss out my recipe and see if anybody thinks I should change something before it's too late.

-Wildflower Honey- ~15-16lbs-my scale sucks but I think it's close to that.
-Water to 5gal
-OG-1.110
-2 packets of 71b(I know 2 packets is overkill, but honey is expensive and 71b is not)
-Raspberries-we picked about 2 gallons of wile raspberries in our back yard last summer(I believe).

I do not boil my honey, but rather heat water to mix. I plan on fermenting without the raspberries and adding them add into secondary. I will ferment using 3 staggered nutrient/energizer additions and daily oxygenation until bulk of fermentation is done.

Then rack to 6gal carboy and add raspberries. I guess this is where some input is needed. With fruit is secondary done best with a BB, glass, or bucket? I only have one bucket and am fermenting in it right now, but for ease of handling I could always rack to something and rack back it it means it's easier to get berries in/out. I was thinking that a BB would also be nice due to wide mouth. If people have not had issues either way then I will just use what's available to me. Also could I even add raspberries after fermentation has halted/after campden & sorbate? Are there any risks/down side to doing that?

After 2 weeks on berries it's tertiary/bulk aging time. Stabilize with campden/sorbate. Then sweeten and bottle. May also add acid/vanilla beans but haven't decided.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
2ndGenBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yuor recipe sounds fine to me. A standard melomel recipe. I personally use a bucket with a airlock for a secondary with melomels but there is no reason you couldn't use a BB. Otherwise it looks like you got everything covered. Your procedure is the one I've followed for the past dozen meads I've made.

Regards and enjoy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply