New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Crazy Pineapple Melomel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
dudasaj
Dude
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Crazy Pineapple Melomel

Is it wrong to take my favorite fruit, and then serve it in one of my favorite ways, then bottle its sweet alcohol goodness. I want a good pineapple mead recipe but then substitute grilled pineapple in it's place. I love grilled pineapple on kabobs, or a burger, or just right off the grill. It would be really easy to do this, or you could try adding liquid smoke to a pineapple melomel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Grill it!!......

Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't add liquid smoke. Not only is it salty, but usually has vinegar in it, which might end up making the mead taste bad.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

+1 on the grill it

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
dudasaj
Dude

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudasaj View Post
...or you could try adding liquid smoke to a pineapple melomel.
I said YOU could try adding liquid smoke, i'm not adding liquid smoke. I was entertaining it as a possibility, but i've never seen a recipe with liquid smoke.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what if you made your own liquid smoke??? anyway grilled fruit in mead kinda sounds yummy

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudasaj View Post
Is it wrong to take my favorite fruit, and then serve it in one of my favorite ways, then bottle its sweet alcohol goodness. I want a good pineapple mead recipe but then substitute grilled pineapple in it's place. I love grilled pineapple on kabobs, or a burger, or just right off the grill. It would be really easy to do this, or you could try adding liquid smoke to a pineapple melomel.
Hi dudasaj: This sounds VERY interesting; not only would you get flavours from the unadulterated pinapple fruit, you'd also get flavours from the carmelized sugars & from the little bit of carbonization of those same sugars... Its the carbonization that i think might give you a problem. When combined with those other flavours of the sugars (reg. & carmelized) the bitterness of the carbonized sugars are at least muted, if not masked entirely. There is a distinct possibility that those bitter carbon flavours may be amplified by the removal of those sugars. Mybe they could be countered by acid and/or tannin addaitions, or by using a low attenuating yeast, or even by back sweetening; maybe not. I don't mean to dissuade you, just to point out that part of what makes grilled pineapple so tasty might turn out bitter in your brew. If you can grill pineapple without the carbonization, then preserve that flavour thru fermentation, I think you might have something quite unique & tasty. I think it would be a very fine balance though. I encourage you to try it! That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Last edited by gratus fermentatio; 08-23-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 85

OK, I'm a TOTAL novice here...just a few batches of crabapple cider bottled and a couple of beers...but I was looking for something interesting to do with pineapple. I was reading this thread and see that it is pretty old. Did Dudasaj ever follow up on the grilled pineapple mead? Honey is SO expensive that I am reluctant to go for it. Anyway, I was intrigued by Gratus Fermentatio 's concerns about the grilling process adding bitterness and wondered if a light smoking in a smoker...but not enough to brown it...would produce a better result? I don't have a smoker, but could probably rig something. Anyway...thoughts? Results?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
loveofrose
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let me preface this by saying the ends always justify the means in mead making. If you want a good pineapple flavor in conjunction with some smokiness, I suggest you use dried pineapple (NO sulfur dioxide) and heavy toast american oak. Weird as it sounds, dried pineapple tends to give much more flavor than fresh. The heavy toast American oak should give you some of that smokiness you are after. Just be sure not to over oak or it will take forever to age out.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveofrose View Post
Let me preface this by saying the ends always justify the means in mead making. If you want a good pineapple flavor in conjunction with some smokiness, I suggest you use dried pineapple (NO sulfur dioxide) and heavy toast american oak. Weird as it sounds, dried pineapple tends to give much more flavor than fresh. The heavy toast American oak should give you some of that smokiness you are after. Just be sure not to over oak or it will take forever to age out.
That sounds interesting...I have a dehydrator. I guess I could dehydrate to a point, but not crispy and add it to the primary fermentation. I never used oak before...maybe rack into that for a short secondary...a few days? Can the oak be sanitized and reused?

There are no small parts, only small actors.

Quick Reply