Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Crazy "easy mead" idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Athos710
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Crazy "easy mead" idea

I've read all about JOAM (and MOAM) and several other "quick and easy" meads. They all sound like they have advantages, and disadvantages. After mulling this over, I've come up with an idea. I have 3 Mr Beer fermentors that don't get much use since I upgraded to a 5 gallon beer brewery. My plan is to do 2 batches in the Mr Beers with bread yeast and the 3rd with high attenuating wine yeast (like 1116). The recipe for each would be the same as JOAM (scaled to just over 2 gallons), but with only orange zest and the fruit flesh, no pith or rind. The plan is to rack all 3 into the same 6 gallon carboy after they clear, bulk age, then bottle.

The hope will be that the dryer wine yeast will help balance out the sweeter mead made from the bread yeast. Plus, I hope the secondary and larger volume will help with the poor flocculation of the bread yeast.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any examples of anyone blending varieties of JOAM(ish) meads. Anyone have any advice for me on this?

Last edited by Athos710; 11-16-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Cruel
Recipes 

The sweetness in a JOAM helps balance out the taste of alcohol, allowing it to be enjoyed young. The bitterness from the pith is what helps balance out the sweetness so it isn't overpowering. But all that differs by how you like your alcohol.

My best guess is that you're going to end up with a drinkable mead, and after some aging it will be fine.

I just hope youre not planning on drinking this as early as you'd normally try out a JOAM recipe.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
johnnync
WPW Contractor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

But if you add the sweet mead to the mead with the higher alcohol yeast wont it start back fermenting?

Last edited by johnnync; 11-19-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling.......and still not sure

Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnync View Post
But if you add the sweet mead to the mead with the higher alcohol yeast wont it start back fermenting?
Not if you make sure that it's stabilised correctly i.e. sulphites and sorbate after racking off the sediment etc.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply