Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A Couple Of Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Diesel70
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default A Couple Of Questions...

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the brewing scene and have a couple questions...

1) Looking around, I heard of a yeast that is a "Fruity Bouquet" called Epernay Yeast. Any suggestions? I was thinking of making a Melomel and wasn't sure of what yeast I should use.

2) With aforementioned yeast, how much honey would you recommend using for a mildly sweet mead? I haven't found much information on this strain of yeast with the limited research I have conducted and would like to start my Melomel asap since i have limited time for it's completion.

Thanks in advance for the help!
~Diesel70

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 117

No experience with that yeast as I have only used EC1118 so far in my meads but I can tell you from my experience so far as a new mead maker that "limited time for completion" and mead (or melomel) are not two things that go together very well.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Diesel70
Recipes 

Quick clarification; I would like to have this Melomel completed for next August;the ingredients I would like to use will be going out of season and coming into season rapidly at this time of year. What I would like to create would be a peach pomegranate Melomel, and I'm planning on aging it in a medium toast oak barrel. Looking around, it seems like I will need some time for this to age (roughly 7-8 months). I have 10 months but would like to have some cushion time, in case the batch doesn't turn out, to create a straight mead so I can have something for the event.

Thanks!
~Diesel70

Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Oh, then you should be fine. That epernay yeast is a chardonnay yeast so it should be perfect. If you are doing a 5 gallon batch and you want it mildly sweet, try between 12#s and 15#s of honey. I like dry and have been using 12#s and its going dry pretty fast (although i read that epernay is a little slower on the ferment side than what I use) so probably more on the 15# side. You can always back sweeten too if you need to.

I bet it will be drinkable way prior to your target date but it will only get better with age!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Diesel70 Likes This 
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Without checking up, I can't confirm, but I understood that Epernay falls within the champagne region. Most champagne yeasts aren't known for good bouquet etc.

I'm thinking that a better bet would be Lalvin 71B, which is the narbonne strain. A good yeast for melomels, just get the finished mead off the sediment with about 2 months of the ferment finishing. As for barrel aging, that is normally calculated from the contact ratio of liquid to wood, from industry standard barrel sizes. Smaller barrels have a higher ratio, so you have to be careful not to over-oak.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
galexior
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

hmmm... diesel70... you seem familiar... haha!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Diesel70
Recipes 

You seem familiar as well Galexior....haha!

Anyway, as far as aging goes; My original batch that I want to make first would be a 1 gallon batch just to get a recipe going. Recommended age time? I was thinking around a month. Then moving up to the five gallon batch (if this turns out as I hope) I was estimating around 7-8 months in the barrel. Sound ideas? or no?

Also, as far as the Melomel goes, I was thinking of a 3:1 ratio (3# of peaches to 1# of pomegranate) for the fruit. Is it safe to assume that a ratio should hold true for a larger batch? I would like to step up to a five gallon batch afterwards if this Melomel turns out.

Thanks!
~Diesel70

Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
galexior
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

well, ive been reading around and it looks like aging should last a few months, ive seen as low as 3 months, but more is recommended. i dont think there is a max time, unless it turns to vinegar or something...

Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It only turns to vinegar if there is an acetobacter infection. I'm drinking a nice JAOM that I made 2 years ago this evening. It was nice at 4-6 months but over the time it has mellowed and smoothed. I have some 3 year old that's even better

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Quick Reply