Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Could use some clarification

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
roadymi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
By the way, while I'm at it, might as well pose this question: girlfriend is not gonna give up this fruit mead quest. What should I be using for those? Is the quality of the honey less important then? So much so I could use supermarket honey?
I've found that I can buy local honey directly from local beekeepers nearly as cheap as imported honey in the supermarket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
I've found that I can buy local honey directly from local beekeepers nearly as cheap as imported honey in the supermarket.
True. I was shocked by how close the prices were compared to the quality of each. I guess my question was more like, if the consensus is to save wildflower for the traditional, what should I be using in a melomel? I'm sure there are a bunch of options but what should I be looking for generally? Or, more precisely, should I not use wildflower honey here because it would come out subpar or just because it's a precious thing to waste? I wouldn't mind going out and getting some more of this to do a melomel, as long as the flavors aren't going to clash and I just don't know enough about it to tell.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
2ndGenBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
Or, more precisely, should I not use wildflower honey here because it would come out subpar or just because it's a precious thing to waste? I wouldn't mind going out and getting some more of this to do a melomel, as long as the flavors aren't going to clash and I just don't know enough about it to tell.
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Colorado most of the honey is wildflower or clover. I can get a gallon of wild flower and clover both for around $40 so I like to use mostly wild flower. I've done probably 6 melomels using wildflower honey and they all turned out great. Wildflower seems to compliment berries the best (strwberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.) I also used sage blossom about a year ago for a strawberry and it turned out fantastic. Try millershoney.com. The gallon of sage blossom I got cost me $5 less AFTER sipping then store bought.

Keep on brewing. You'll love it!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenBrewer View Post
I guess it depends on where you live. ... Try millershoney.com. The gallon of sage blossom I got cost me $5 less AFTER sipping then store bought.
Good advice to shop around you never know what you will find. For a mel with loads of fruit just use whatever is cheap as long as it tastes good and "clean". Our wildflower honey here in Texas is loaded with too much floral character so it really only tastes good in a straight traditional. In other parts of the country the wildflower honey is a bit tamer and is probably an excellent choice that may be found at the local farmer's market rather cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thanks guys. I'll take all that into consideration.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Colorado most of the honey is wildflower or clover. I can get a gallon of wild flower and clover both for around $40 so I like to use mostly wild flower.
I get my honey from Madhava in Lyons, just west of Longmont, CO. They have a great Alfapha Honey. They also have Clover and Wildflower. I usually get mine in 42 pound buckets for about $2.00 a pound. A Gallon is about 12 pounds. so that's $22 a Gal. But then again, I can get it Wholesale. Always excelent product. I find that Alfapha is a robust honey flavor that makes a good base.

Matrix
Out of Thornton, CO

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
2ndGenBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd love to know how your able to get wholesale prices! If you have to drive to Lyon it might just be better to pay retail. lol. I've used Madhava's before and it does taste pretty good. My favorite locally has to be their Ambrosia line though. I've made quite a few great melomels with the Alpine wildflower honey.

Will
Lakewood, CO

Old 06-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
I'd love to know how your able to get wholesale prices! If you have to drive to Lyon it might just be better to pay retail. lol. I've used Madhava's before and it does taste pretty good. My favorite locally has to be their Ambrosia line though. I've made quite a few great melomels with the Alpine wildflower honey.

Will
Lakewood, CO
Well, It's not much of a Drive from Thornton. As to how I get Wholesale without a Wholesale licence: I explained to them what I do with it and provided them with a bottle or two as proof, once. The person to talk to over there is Mary, I guess she handles the wholesale accounts. Also, the lady that works the little hut infrount of the warehouse is very friendly. Just explain that you have no intention of reselling it but need their wholesale price and are willing to buy in bulk, that is the 42 pound buckets. I usually buy 3 of them at a time. Beware though, the honey may crystalize if you take longer than a 8 months to a year to use it. I have been considering dropping down to 2 for this reason. I have 7 carboys but don't get much time to brew.

Quick Reply