New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Costco Honey




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,134
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Costco Honey

Anyone tried it? I have never done a mead mostly because of cost. But I was at Costco and 5lbs is $12. cheap!




__________________
RC0032 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
mrdillon5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I usually use Costco honey. Our local one also sells a 6 lb package from the Sonoran Desert. Great stuff in my humble opinion



__________________
mrdillon5 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,738
Liked 388 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I made a mead using all ingredients from costco. Well, except for the DAP. Fermented it using the red star bread yeast that they sell in the big bricks.

It came in at a whopping 17% ABV.

__________________
weirdboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,134
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I made a mead using all ingredients from costco. Well, except for the DAP. Fermented it using the red star bread yeast that they sell in the big bricks.

It came in at a whopping 17% ABV.
Is it good? ABV is one thing...bread yeast and generic honey is another.
__________________
RC0032 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sonofgrok's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,092
Liked 215 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

My Costco doesn't have that... it has 6# bottles of Mrs. Crockett's Hill Country sonoran honey. THat is what I have been using.

__________________

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

sonofgrok is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,738
Liked 388 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Is it good? ABV is one thing...bread yeast and generic honey is another.

It was OK for an off-the-wall experiment. I would describe it as "average". I entered it in a recent competition and it scored mid-high 20's.

The ABV was a surprise for me. I piled on the honey anticipating a semi-sweet or sweet FG, but that bread yeast just chugged along and it fermented out to something really low, like 1.006 I think.
__________________
weirdboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 965
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I started off with Costco honey, but found it is possibe to find a beekeeper that will sell better honey at the same price. But yes, you can make a good mead with Costco honey, especially if you add fruit (I highly recomend Costco's frozen strawberries while you are there).

__________________
BBBF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 554
Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Default

From what I understand, especially from the Stickys:

You lose a lot of honey character in the primary fermentation. If you are planing on back sweetening then you can do your primary with a generic honey and then backsweeten with the more expensive honey and still get the great flavor and character of the more expensive honey. Worth trying I think.

Me, I usually do a 5 gal batch with 12 pounds of honey and let it ferment out and then stablized and backsweeten with 6 pounds. Ofcourse, My current source is about the prices you are seeing on the Costco honey. I know a few people but for regular alfalfa and wildflower it's about the same price. A little more for Orange Blossom. So I just stick with the same honey source.

I may just have to do a test with this though.

Batch 1: 12 pounds of cheap honey, backsweetening with my chosen honey type with 6 pounds.

Batch 2: 12 pounds of my chosen honey type, backsweetening with my chosen honey type.


Then seeing what the difference is. Has anyone done this?

Matrix

__________________
Matrix4b is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
vespa2t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 253
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I have used Costco clover and red star in orange and raspberry meads. Turns out fantastic. Just like everything if you take care with temp and such , things will turn out fine

__________________

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

vespa2t is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
biochemedic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Belmont, NC
Posts: 1,766
Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
From what I understand, especially from the Stickys:

You lose a lot of honey character in the primary fermentation. If you are planing on back sweetening then you can do your primary with a generic honey and then backsweeten with the more expensive honey and still get the great flavor and character of the more expensive honey. Worth trying I think.

Me, I usually do a 5 gal batch with 12 pounds of honey and let it ferment out and then stablized and backsweeten with 6 pounds. Ofcourse, My current source is about the prices you are seeing on the Costco honey. I know a few people but for regular alfalfa and wildflower it's about the same price. A little more for Orange Blossom. So I just stick with the same honey source.

I may just have to do a test with this though.

Batch 1: 12 pounds of cheap honey, backsweetening with my chosen honey type with 6 pounds.

Batch 2: 12 pounds of my chosen honey type, backsweetening with my chosen honey type.


Then seeing what the difference is. Has anyone done this?

Matrix
This is a great experiment Matrix! I hope you start a thread about this and post the results. I think you should choose a competition or two and enter both meads so you can get some objective/blind comparison...


__________________
Packaged: Dark Munich Citra SMaSH, Mayan Stout, Caramel Quad, Basic Spiced Cider, Spur of the Moment Graff
Recent Meads: Mead Day '11 Ginger Metheglin, Mead Day '12 Traditional (orange blossom) Mead, Fresh Simple Cyser '12, Cherry Melomel, Belgeglin, Bochet
Primary: Nada!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej
biochemedic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Costco Kirkland Honey Article delvorak Mead Forum 8 09-03-2012 04:40 AM
Help w/ braggot: Vienna + Honey + Honey Malt ghpeel Mead Forum 1 10-18-2011 03:32 PM
Is it a bad idea to mix cheap honey with expensive honey paddy711 Mead Forum 11 01-20-2011 07:22 PM
Cheap grade honey vs high quality honey MeadWitch Mead Forum 16 10-16-2010 02:43 AM
Blackseed Honey and Pine Honey at the Int'l Market? jkpq45 Mead Forum 0 10-08-2009 05:48 PM