Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > "Correct" Bottle for Mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default "Correct" Bottle for Mead?

Is there such a thing as a correct bottle for mead? I don't recall seeing anything consistently used but I thought I'd ask.

Yeah it's a stupid question but it's one of those things that's stuck in my head.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

what ever you can stick it in that looks old.

mead was already falling out of favor when other fermentables were getting common use and wineries breweries were standardizing bottles.

mead kind of missed it.

corked wine bottles might be the least wrong.

my 16oz caped newcastle bottles are very wrong

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agreed. Whatever you put it in. Wine bottles are the most common. Beer bottles, belgian bottles and champagne bottles are used and so are ceramic-style bottles. Usually it depends on mead style too. A beer bottle may expect a lighter, beer-like mead to be had.

Perhaps one of the good things about mead has by not being popularized back then, is that there aren't as many bottle preconceptions. Other than drinking horns and mazer cups, of course.

Mine's in a keg. I'm lazy.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ooh, I like the ceramic bottle idea. Only thing with that is you can't see how pretty it is. I used a darker wildflower honey and it's like glowing amber ...

Of course I know I *can* put it in anything, was just curious if there was any traditional shape for it.

Lee Bussy

Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

everything looks great and traditional in belgian bottles

Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well I bottle mine in old amber beer bottles (Sam Adams, Flat Tire, Blue Moon, etc.)
with a regular oxygen absorbing crown cap and I slap a label on it. No problems thus far. If you want that Nordic feeling when you drink it, you could always sew up some little viking hats and put them over the cap

Technically, it's classified as a wine, so you could always cork it up as well. Either way, best of luck!

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I use 1L swing tops. I try to avoid corking whenever possible.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I believe corked Wine bottles are what all the commercial meads are sold in, at least the ones I've seen. I use corked bottles and 12 oz beer bottles, Either way I pour into a wine glass, and wine stopper the beer / wine bottle.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I generally use various color wine bottles...sometimes the color has something to do with the type of mead. I use green for my cysers, for example, and I try to use clear bottles for meads that have a really nice color, like berry metheglins. The only thing I'm really strict on is that I do use brown glass for my hop metheglins.

I do bottle a few of every batch using standard 12 oz longnecks with oxygen absorbing caps for sending to competitions...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadiator View Post
Well I bottle mine in old amber beer bottles (Sam Adams, Flat Tire, Blue Moon, etc.)
with a regular oxygen absorbing crown cap and I slap a label on it. No problems thus far. If you want that Nordic feeling when you drink it, you could always sew up some little viking hats and put them over the cap
I always try to put some in a 12 oz just in case I compete but I think a perfectly clear still mead is not going to age well in a smaller bottle. That might be BS, but I wonder how it can possibly age consistently and correctly in that format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I use 1L swing tops. I try to avoid corking whenever possible.
Is that just because you don't like corking or you feel it has some deleterious impact on the mead? I was leaning towards corking for the bulk of it because of the potential to positively impact the aging process. That and it's just cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
I believe corked Wine bottles are what all the commercial meads are sold in, at least the ones I've seen. I use corked bottles and 12 oz beer bottles, Either way I pour into a wine glass, and wine stopper the beer / wine bottle.
I've noticed the "zorks" are pretty popular now. Kinda neat but they remove any benefit from the cork. Worrying about "classic" bottles and using a zork is probably setting myself up for a lightning strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
I generally use various color wine bottles...sometimes the color has something to do with the type of mead. I use green for my cysers, for example, and I try to use clear bottles for meads that have a really nice color, like berry metheglins. The only thing I'm really strict on is that I do use brown glass for my hop metheglins.
I was leaning that way - especially this particular batch causing me to ask the questions. I wish I could get a good picture of the carboy because it almost glows on its own. It's far too pretty to put in a dark bottle.

You know I have yet to try a well-made hop metheglin or a braggot for that matter.

Lee Bussy

Quick Reply