Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cooked honey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Cooked honey?

Hi all,

I'm new to mead making and had a question for you experienced ones (I'd be interested in inexperienced thoughts too )

My friend claims he can get some cheap honey from a local apairist, but with a catch. His normal honey is market price, but he has some cooked honey that he sells cheaper and often sells it to resaurants got cook with.

As I understand it, the good raw honey is slung out of the wax and sold as is. Then he heats the wax or whatever up and it drains the rest of the honey out, but it's a different color. Apparently no wax gets in there, I don't know how though...

Would this be a good style of honey to make mead with? Anyone know what this stuff is like? Subpar? Just different color?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well it will ferment fine. Heating honey much past 100 degrees tends to destroy the aromatic and subtle flavoring that the base plant imparts on the honey such as orange blossom, clover, lilac.......etc etc.

I would suggest that it will work fine for a melomel or a braggot or any heavily flavored mead. It will likely make a tasty mead of any variety but perhaps not as spectacular of a mead as some specialized honeys.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Unferth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
Well it will ferment fine. Heating honey much past 100 degrees tends to destroy the aromatic and subtle flavoring that the base plant imparts on the honey such as orange blossom, clover, lilac.......etc etc.

I would suggest that it will work fine for a melomel or a braggot or any heavily flavored mead. It will likely make a tasty mead of any variety but perhaps not as spectacular of a mead as some specialized honeys.
Ok, cool, but are we talking no honey taste at all? Or just diminished? Honey without honey flavor seems like it would be simple syrup or something.

What sorts of melomels tend to be stronger in fruit flavor? I have a bit of apple juice around...

Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
Ok, cool, but are we talking no honey taste at all? Or just diminished? Honey without honey flavor seems like it would be simple syrup or something.

What sorts of melomels tend to be stronger in fruit flavor? I have a bit of apple juice around...
IMHO Mead doesn't really have much of a "honey" taste, It does taste darn good however if done right. Sounds like the price is right.......make a gallon or five and give it a shot.

Apple juice and honey = Cyser. I use a pound or so / gal of apple juice.

Rasberries, blackberries, blueberries make very nice melomels. 3 lb / gallon

Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Might also make a decent bochet (burnt mead). Just my 2c.

-Kingboomer

Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Unferth
Recipes 

I've got the encouragement I need now... Will let you know how it turns out?

Bochet, huh? Got a recipe?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Here'sthe basics of it:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/bochet-mead-burnt-mead-148209/

Thwere's a few links in there to some other bochet threads. I can't seem to find the youtube video for it tho.

-Kingboomer

P.S. I have yet to try one, but from everything I've read it's awesome

KB

Quick Reply