Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > conducting an experiment between bread yeast vs sweet mead yeast in mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
STLExpat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
Well the white labs yeast, has a higher alcohol tolerance, then the wyeast one (15% for WL, 11% for WY). Plus I haven't heard of anywhere near as many problems with the white labs one (it's not available here so haven't tried it - whereas the Wyeast one is and it was a complete PITA, so I'm not gonna use it again).

As for the blow out, JAO style recipes do seem to foam a lot in the first instance, but usually settle down after a day or two......

And while I make my own vanilla essence, I would have just split the pod and chucked the whole thing in, rather than splitting and scrapping it....
Yeah, I did a JAOM about a month ago and forgot how much that foamed up. Oh well, it's a learning process. Kinda wished I would have done what you did with the vanilla but I wanted to avoid getting too much vanilla flavor in there. I'll have to wait and see what happens. I may use a whole pod in the future, got an idea for an orange creamsicle mead that I'm aiming to have ready next summer

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.facebook.com/KurtzhausBrewingCo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
STLExpat
Recipes 

Something just occurred to me. I admit, it's a newb question, but since I'm using liquid yeast, I have to use the whole packet, right? These are only one gallon batches, am I running the risk of over-pitching?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLExpat
Something just occurred to me. I admit, it's a newb question, but since I'm using liquid yeast, I have to use the whole packet, right? These are only one gallon batches, am I running the risk of over-pitching?
I've never pitch a whole packet of liquid yeast into a single gallon but I have pitch a whole packet of dry yeast. So I would say that it'll be fine. More time to make alcohol instead of reproducing.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLExpat
No, you are barely overpitching, and you won't have any problems...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
STLExpat
Recipes 

Status update on the experiment. the bread yeast mead has been extremely active and I've lost most of my vanilla in the blow-off tube, so I ended up tossing in the split vanilla pod instead of trying to scape more out and have done the same with the sweet mead yeast batch

forumrunner_20120412_152444.jpg

Last night I made the sweet mead version of the recipe. And honestly, it may just be from me still being new to the whole brewing process, but using the Wyeast was kind of a pain. When I opened the packet to pitch the yeast, turns out one if the smack packs didn't pop open and I took the risk of infection by using sterilized scissors to open it. I also forgot to account for the amount of liquid going into the must and ended up having to dump some out before setting up the blow-off tube. Wasn't going to make the same mistake using an airlock with that little head space left, and I put the jug in a plastic bag to catch any spills. Gravity was the same as the mead using bread yeast.

forumrunner_20120412_153147.jpg

This morning I checked on it and it didn't bubble over, but there was no room at the top and minimal pressure was escaping as the liquid level rose and one of the oranges partially blocked the hose, so again I dumped some of the must to give everything a little more breathing room. Not much activity but I haven't looked at it since this morning.

forumrunner_20120412_153825.jpg

So, as of right now the bread yeast is definitely proving to be more manageable and convenient, but December is still a long way off. I'll update later this afternoon on what the sweet mead yeast batch is doing.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
STLExpat
Recipes 

Took this a little over a week ago, noticing some different fermentation action between the two. All the fermentation bubbles on the bread yeast batch (left) are concentrated together whereas the bubbles on the liquid yeast batch (right) are not as prominent and are in two separate rings.

Attachment 57906

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
STLExpat
Recipes 

forumrunner_20120419_101310.jpg

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
STLExpat
Recipes 

Status update on these. After a couple weeks, the batch using the bread yeast is clearing up a little faster than the one with the sweet mead yeast, however the lighting may be throwing things off a little. Both still have bubbles at the top and in the airlocks, so the fermentation has a ways to go as far as I can tell

forumrunner_20120503_102003.jpg

Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It is funny. The bread yeast usually has a much lower flocculation rate so the yeast will not clump together and fall to the bottom as readily as most commercial yeast. However it sounds like that the bread yeast is fermenting much faster and the higher alchohol content is allowing for the yeast to settle faster. Fun experiment. Can't wait for tasting results.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
STLExpat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis
It is funny. The bread yeast usually has a much lower flocculation rate so the yeast will not clump together and fall to the bottom as readily as most commercial yeast. However it sounds like that the bread yeast is fermenting much faster and the higher alchohol content is allowing for the yeast to settle faster. Fun experiment. Can't wait for tasting results.
Me either, only seven more months until Christmas. I told the family about it and they are looking forward to it. Only question is how I'm going to get the stuff once it's bottled back to St. Louis if we don't drive back for Labor Day. I have am idea in mind but I won't say what so I can maintain deniability.

On another note I'm going to try the same kind of experiment in the fall with cider. Thinking Nottingham dry ale yeast vs Wyeast cider yeast.

Quick Reply