New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Completely new to Brewing, your criticism please :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #31
rosfrei
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

January 25th

January 27th

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #32
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

On the first 5-7 days I use a bucket with a clean(bleach washed) towel rubberbanded to the top

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
rosfrei
Recipes 

Ahh yes, to allow access to oxygen?

After that you transfer to a carboy with an air lock?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #34
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That is correct but I like to.Degas and if. I add fruit its Easyer to clean out...I Degas to the 2/3 sugar break

Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #35
brewscoe
Recipes 

Sorry to invade your thread but your problem is close to mine and I can't figure out how to start a thread of my own lol

I boiled about 3 quarts of water and added three 2/3 an ounce of cascade hops, threw in 4 pounds of blue agave. Boiled for about 30 minutes and added 1/3 ounce of hops and cooled to around 80 degrees. Added to a 2 gallon fermenter and pitched white labs 720 yeast ( half a vile of a 5 gallon amount ). How do you think this going to turn out at a 64-68F degree variation in temp? More constantly 66 degrees F.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewscoe View Post
Sorry to invade your thread but your problem is close to mine and I can't figure out how to start a thread of my own lol

I boiled about 3 quarts of water and added three 2/3 an ounce of cascade hops, threw in 4 pounds of blue agave. Boiled for about 30 minutes and added 1/3 ounce of hops and cooled to around 80 degrees. Added to a 2 gallon fermenter and pitched white labs 720 yeast ( half a vile of a 5 gallon amount ). How do you think this going to turn out at a 64-68F degree variation in temp? More constantly 66 degrees F.
fermenting the agave is similar to fermenting honey (alothough it's not called mead). it sounds like you are looking to make a braggot like concoction with all the hops.

First, your wpl 720 optimally likes 70*F-75*F so being just below that you can expect fermentation to be laggy and slow. consider some sort of heat source, wrapping blankets or sweatshirts around your fermemnter, or moving to a warmer location.

Second, I've read (although I cant find the source again) that blue agave is similar to honey in that it's lacking beneficial nutrients that yeast need. Try adding a nutrient blend or some boiled bread yeast in there to give them something to snack on.

otherwise it sounds like you are good to go, you'll likely lose some of the hop flavor in primary fermentation, but you can always dry hop later or in secondary to get some of that back.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #37
brewscoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewingMedic

fermenting the agave is similar to fermenting honey (alothough it's not called mead). it sounds like you are looking to make a braggot like concoction with all the hops.

First, your wpl 720 optimally likes 70*F-75*F so being just below that you can expect fermentation to be laggy and slow. consider some sort of heat source, wrapping blankets or sweatshirts around your fermemnter, or moving to a warmer location.

Second, I've read (although I cant find the source again) that blue agave is similar to honey in that it's lacking beneficial nutrients that yeast need. Try adding a nutrient blend or some boiled bread yeast in there to give them something to snack on.

otherwise it sounds like you are good to go, you'll likely lose some of the hop flavor in primary fermentation, but you can always dry hop later or in secondary to get some of that back.
Thanks a lot for responding! That is great news, to hear. I will add some nutrient. I will also dry hop since I wasn't planning on a secondary. Dld be nice 😃

On another note. I am also brewing a cider/apfelwine. Basically added about 4 and a half gallons of apple juice to a 5 gallon carboy, three in 2 pounds of honey, 1 pound brown sugar, 1 pound whit granulated sugar. I dissolved all the sugar and at a room temp of 66 degrees pitched 1 vile of ale yeast and a day later added half a vile of wlp720 mead yeast. Its on it's 4th day of fermentation(vigorous). I am shooting for a 14% abv sparking cider. I intend yo let it fully ferment and than sit for a day or two before bottling in 12oz bottles with a 1/4 tsp of whit granulated sugar. What do you think about that one?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

that sounds like a decent recipe with good progress, I am a creature of habit, so even on my ciders/apfelwines once fermentation stops (based off hydrometer readings) I still rack into a secondary for some bulk aging before bottling

Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #39
brewscoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewingMedic
that sounds like a decent recipe with good progress, I am a creature of habit, so even on my ciders/apfelwines once fermentation stops (based off hydrometer readings) I still rack into a secondary for some bulk aging before bottling
Sweet. I appreciate your help. I will be dabbling with aging my next few but for these two I wanted to have a sort of baseline to compare versus aged. how long do you typically age for and what does it do for the flavor of your brew?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
rosfrei
Recipes 

Make your own thread . Click this.

As my pictures show, I am using a syranwrap covering with a pinhole in it, as I don't yet have a carboy with an airlock. It would appear fermentation has slowed significantly, I can no longer see the bubbles rising and popping off the surface under my flash light. The pinhole smells very rich with alcohol.

Quick Reply