Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Completely new to Brewing, your criticism please :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
huntingohio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ok.. you did what I did when I first started... basically played they will it ferment game, and threw crap into a pot and poured yeast on it. It makes booze, but not something enjoyable.
What you initilly mixed up some would call maple wine, and they would be right.
But you intended to "jack" it what im assuming means freeze concentrationg [distilling is illegal so i wouldnt talk about it but freeze concentrating isnt].In that case I would call it a "wash" which is just a mixture of sugars [molasses cane,ect] and water fermented. Its intended to be concentrated then have flavors added. You can make half decnt faux brandys and schnapps this way. Its usually better than the bottom shelf rot gut anyway.

Nice go at attempting to correct it but bread yeast can be tricky. I have had flieschmans finish at 10% several times an odd batch that went up to 11% abv and one that stuck at 6%.

At this point id would just let it ride and see what happens. It will give you a basic understanding of fermentation- what it looks, smells, feels, and tastes like, even if it dosnt taste good. I would spend some money on a good book or two to learn what you want to brew then gear up for the brewday. Cider, mead, wine ,and beer there are hundreds of subtypes and room to play in those.

Ninja edit- those ferments are going like crazy and the narrow neck of the carboy makes them look more epic. It looks less epic in a bucket more like just some bits of foam. Which my breadyeast experemnts have only had acouplee times, mostly they were just bubbly

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

rosfrei Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #22
rosfrei
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well here is the thing, yeast + sugar + water = ethanol right? lol

I love Maple Syrup, possibly a Canadian thing, but I could nearly drink it straight. Yes my initial idea was to freeze concentrate it.. may still do that, as I dunno what all is going to become of this batch haha.

I am gearing up to make a basic mead for the next batch , What kind of yeast is recommended I use? I have winery stores near me, will wine yeast do?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

[QUOT

I am gearing up to make a basic mead for the next batch , What kind of yeast is recommended I use? I have winery stores near me, will wine yeast do?[/QUOTE]

I am a fan of 71b-1122 AND D47 IN MY MEADS

Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #24
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 156

rosfrei,

While your experiment is fermenting, you may also want to try a very easy, almost foolproof mead called Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JOAM).

Here is the HBT link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

A basic JOAM will is a good place to start to learn techniques, gives you some expected and reproducible results, and gets you your own mead to try within 2 months.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #25
opus345

Recipes 

Jack,

I like D47, but it gets very particular about it's temp range. Going below 65-67*F is going to get you some off flavors. I just used K1 in a carmel apple mead and I think that I will be using it more and more in the future.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
Jack,

I like D47, but it gets very particular about it's temp range. Going below 65-67*F is going to get you some off flavors. I just used K1 in a carmel apple mead and I think that I will be using it more and more in the future.
I use d47 and a temp range from 58 to 65. And I have amazing results. It was not till I fermented about 70 that I got an off flavor...and that went away in time

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #27
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I like D47, but it gets very particular about it's temp range. Going below 65-67*F is going to get you some off flavors.
Did you perhaps mean going ABOVE that tmep range produces off flavors?

D47 Ideal temp is 65*-68*F, at 69*F and above it begins producing fusels and all kinds of funky rocket fuel/paint thinner type effects

Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #28
opus345

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewingMedic View Post
Did you perhaps mean going ABOVE that tmep range produces off flavors?

D47 Ideal temp is 65*-68*F, at 69*F and above it begins producing fusels and all kinds of funky rocket fuel/paint thinner type effects
Yup. Thanks for the catch.
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #29
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Yup. Thanks for the catch.
No problem

Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #30
rosfrei
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

After I added more water, some Honey pitched more yeast. January 22nd.

Slowly fermenting away, smelling delicious! January 24th.

I am using a wrap covering, with a pinhole poked in to it. It is fermenting in a 60F room with condensation forming on the inside of the wrap, so its clearly doing work in there lol.

Quick Reply