Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Completely new to Brewing, your criticism please :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
rosfrei
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Alright well I do not really have another vessel handy in order to add another 9L of water at the moment..

I think I will start over more or less, but let this one continue as an experiment. Maybe even distill it at the end if it is too out there..

5-8 days of access to oxygen, is this common place for all fermenting? or just when making mead?

thank-you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosfrei View Post

5-8 days of access to oxygen, is this common place for all fermenting? or just when making mead?

thank-you.
Very common for wine/mead making. Some airlock right out of the gate but you typically get a stronger ferment if you allow access to oxygen those first few days. You are welcome.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
rosfrei
Recipes 

I will start getting ingredients ready for the next batch of proper mead.

This looks extremely delicious!! For a Black Raspberry Maple Mead;

(5 gallon batch)
1 cup brown sugar
1 gallon apple juice
5lbs Honey (clover & wildflower)
1/2 gallon maple syrup
7lbs Black Raspberries
3 lemons
champagne yeast

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
rosfrei
Recipes 

Say I want to make what I have fermenting in to a spirit, either by means of distilling or the more legal way "jacking"..

With what I have already.. There is too little water and too much sugar, so the yeast is going to die off before the sugar is consumed correct?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
Onihige
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosfrei View Post
I will start getting ingredients ready for the next batch of proper mead.

This looks extremely delicious!! For a Black Raspberry Maple Mead;

(5 gallon batch)
1 cup brown sugar
1 gallon apple juice
5lbs Honey (clover & wildflower)
1/2 gallon maple syrup
7lbs Black Raspberries
3 lemons
champagne yeast
Not to be a... jerk or a party pooper, but that's got way too many flavors competing.

You should really try making plain mead, just honey... water and yeast. Plus yeast nurishment. It's so simple, yet complex.

I also suggest splitting that plain batch after primary fermentation, divide it into any of these you think you'd like: still dry, dry sparkling, semi sweet, sweet, melomel (adding fruit in secondary is common practice anyway). Although to divide the batch you'd have to make a big batch of mead, and that can get expensive.

In my opinion, many people over-sweeten their mead, and add too much fruit to their melomels. Might as well make fruit wine.

And just plain, dry mead is one of the most delicious things to drink.

This isn't a beer belly, It's a fuel tank for a love machine.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #16
rosfrei
Recipes 

Disregard post #14..

I found a bigger pot! (yes I need a carboy) So I added the missing 9L of water, another packet of yeast, and some honey.

I have never had a mead, but it does sound delectable. I am all for trying new things, yes I jumped in face first.. but there is no better way to learn than actually doing it. There is a local hobby brewer close by I will be checking out tomorrow. I hope to get some more info from them, as well as a few supplies. I intend to make this a life long skill.

Thank-you for the response and criticism, it is not my recipe however.. The guy did say it turned out pretty good. I have a few more in depth questions; I have seen a huge number of posts regarding OG and FG, Original and Final respectively. I will be looking to pick up a hydrometer and get to understand the desirable gravity's, is there anything you can sort of tell me about it to understand better?

Thanks again, like I say I love learning. I'll pick up on this just you wait! !

Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
rosfrei
Recipes 

Oh yes, and it is now in a 60f room.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

Rosfrei,
You may consider visiting Jack Keller's website, easy to find by using your search engine--a wealth of info there. Plus check out GotMead.com

Just read up on the basics first, invest in a carboy, even glass gallon jugs will do for small batches. But jumping in blindly can lead to issues. If you have the passion, but most of all the patience, you will be amazed at what you make. It is ultimately all about what YOU enjoy.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
rosfrei
Recipes 

The local hobby shop is called "The Friendly Fermentor", but he pretty much exclusively deals in 'kits" for wine.. and can get beer kits, but doesn't touch mead at all as it is not governed by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (or LCBO).

He does have all the supplies necessary to brew beer however, so I think I will be buying that $99 kit. Comes with the fermenting bucket, carboy, air lock, sanitizer, and some other necessary tools I cannot recall. Pretty helpful guy, was totally trying to get me to exclusively try wine lol. Every chance he could he'd sneak in a blurb about wine.. Says hes never had a sip of beer in his lifetime.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #20
rosfrei
Recipes 

Forgive me, but what I have fermenting right now is with fleischmans Bakers Yeast and nothing more. A rookie experiment to see what happens while I learn on here.

I mean I have seen some videos of active fermentation, but mine looks nothing the same. It is fermenting, I can smell liquor and I can physically see fermentation.. but not like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=NwAI4D3ph04

Quick Reply