Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Commercial "Traditional Mead" for a newbie to try?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Zaffo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The closest meaderies to Eureka, CA are near San Francisco. Rabbit's Foot and Heidrun. (according to Google Maps).

http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com/

http://www.heidrunmeadery.com/

Heidrun seems to only have sparkling mead (not that it's a bad thing). Rabbit's foot has a lot of different styles, including braggots. (Wish I could find a local place that makes a braggot in Ohio....)

- Johnny Dangerously

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #12
Paul_F
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Many thanks for all the tips!
I did find some Heidrun at a local store... but at far too dear a price (to my tender wallet, anyway).

I decided to just jump in, and start a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead..
So it's now in the carboy, bubbling away.
Is it December yet?

Paul F.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
Paul_F
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots_Pagan View Post
Moniack is definitely the best mead I've ever tried. And it's made right here in Scotland
Getting it is hard even here though...2 months I've been trying to get some from my usual supplier in Glasgow, and they've had problems apparently.

I'm about the start a mead in the next few days, will just be a plain one, but if anyone has a moniack-style mead recipe, I would really love to hear it.
I'm guessing that the maker of Moniak isn't overly excited about sharing HIS recipe?
Maybe I'm naive, but it couldn't hurt to ask 'em, could it?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
I'm guessing that the maker of Moniak isn't overly excited about sharing HIS recipe?
Maybe I'm naive, but it couldn't hurt to ask 'em, could it?
Not so sure that there is much of a recipe, other than honey, water, yeast and nutrients, with honey to back sweeten and acid too taste.

There's still room for some variation even with minimal ingredients like that. Honey type, yeast, etc. Their trick seems balancing..... it still tests reasonably high gravity out the bottle but has the highest acid/pH result of the 5 commercials I've tasted.....

I couldn't spot any tannins or oaking in the bottle I tried......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Scots_Pagan
Recipes 

In fairness, that's the recipe for ALL mead though...

Given the acidity, I was thinking it could be done with a JAOM-style recipe, or maybe the MAOM variant...
I'd love to know though (since I've not tried either), is do they actually have a perceivable orange taste to them?
Or are the oranges basically just there for citric acid, and don't leave a real taste once it's all done?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
In fairness, that's the recipe for ALL mead though...

Given the acidity, I was thinking it could be done with a JAOM-style recipe, or maybe the MAOM variant...
I'd love to know though (since I've not tried either), is do they actually have a perceivable orange taste to them?
Or are the oranges basically just there for citric acid, and don't leave a real taste once it's all done?
No, there's some orange taste to them. In fact you have to be careful to stick to the recipe as closely as possible.

My first attempt turned out Ok by accident. I made it to 1 imp gallon, not 1 US gallon, but there was still enough sweetness to balance it OK.

The biggest balls up you see when reading some of the mammoth JAO threads is that people try to be clever and replace the bread yeast with wine yeast, then when it ferments dry and comes out tasting bitter and hideous, they wonder why.

The use of a whole orange can impart some pithy bitterness, but normally there's enough residual sweetness to balance that. You do have to take Joes word for it about the cloves though, he spot on. More than a couple and it can be vvv clovey, as to make it almost undrinkable.

I've got some Fleischmanns someone sent me from the States to try later on this year when I get some space back (bloody builders for another 6 weeks or so), but I've made it successfully with tesco's, Co-op, Allinsons and Hovis yeasts.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
Scots_Pagan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
No, there's some orange taste to them. In fact you have to be careful to stick to the recipe as closely as possible.

My first attempt turned out Ok by accident. I made it to 1 imp gallon, not 1 US gallon, but there was still enough sweetness to balance it OK.

The biggest balls up you see when reading some of the mammoth JAO threads is that people try to be clever and replace the bread yeast with wine yeast, then when it ferments dry and comes out tasting bitter and hideous, they wonder why.

The use of a whole orange can impart some pithy bitterness, but normally there's enough residual sweetness to balance that. You do have to take Joes word for it about the cloves though, he spot on. More than a couple and it can be vvv clovey, as to make it almost undrinkable.

I've got some Fleischmanns someone sent me from the States to try later on this year when I get some space back (bloody builders for another 6 weeks or so), but I've made it successfully with tesco's, Co-op, Allinsons and Hovis yeasts.
Well I just got me 3 pounds in ASDA of their cheapest ****test honey.
I'll admit, after reading all the threads, I'm still going to try using a generic wine-yeast. I'm after a higher ABV than the 10% stuff that bread yeast will crap out at, and I'm thinking I can just back-sweeten to mellow out the taste...

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Well I just got me 3 pounds in ASDA of their cheapest ****test honey.
I'll admit, after reading all the threads, I'm still going to try using a generic wine-yeast. I'm after a higher ABV than the 10% stuff that bread yeast will crap out at, and I'm thinking I can just back-sweeten to mellow out the taste...
Well, I get less worried about the quality of the honey with mels and meth etc. As I've never been into mild or subtle.

Bread yeast does about the 12% or so area, but hey.....its your brew. I'm sure if you wanted to you could make it an 18% JAO but the higher the strength the longer it seems to take to mellow etc.

Which sort of defeats the idea of it being a reasonably quick brew to make.....

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

...and then it's not really a JAOM anymore, it's Scots_Pagan's Not-So-Ancient Orange Mead.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #20
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Ive got some African Fig mead they also have a coffee one. Cant think of the name off hand (Sun-Honey maybe? wait.. its IQhilika) but aparnatley that is where mead originated from-Africa,which I didnt know till I read the bottle. So now I feel special I have some real African mead.

That and I will have some Vikings Blod to try tomarrow for my 40th Bday. Picked up an Oliver watermellon mead,shure it will probably be sweet but doesnt sound nearly as cloying as the cherry cough syrup mead they had,I could be wrong though. Ill save that one for a later day.

Quick Reply