Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Coffee Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Driftless
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
Where in the world do you get raw coffee cherries?
China.

No - seriously, China. Although it does have its setbacks when it comes to brewing, there are also a lot of interesting possibilities... Fruits I had never heard of (and whose English names I haven't learned yet...), jungle honey, though it is a bit hard to find DAP, or other additives...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
BigStone777
Recipes 

I'm right there with you... I know exactly what you mean

Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.
If all else fails, just drink more mead anyway...

Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #23
BigStone777
Recipes 

In regard to Coffee Mead... what would happen if you started out with regular mead, and dumped your leftover coffee in there each day? Ok, every time you mess with the fermenter is a chance of introducing nasties into the must... yes, i know. Um, so you boil the coffee, cool it, and add it...? Hm, but black coffee doesn't really have ferment-ables or sugar in it... so would that just water down any good thing you had going on? or maybe the coffee, being an anti-oxidant, would help or hurt the yeast...? The acid in the coffee should help, shouldn't it, i guess depending on the pre-existing Ph levels...?
Just thinking out loud...

On a side note, I've been thinking about making some green tea mead... tea and honey go together quite well, and both are good for you... Unless theres a recipe to follow, I'll just do a 1 gal test batch...

EDIT: Ok, the more i think about it, the more stupid it sounds... but i still want to do green tea mead, maybe rack onto fresh ginger...

Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.

Last edited by BigStone777; 10-29-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #24
petes
Recipes 

Green tea mead. On ginger.
BS777 now this is getting really interesting.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #25
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStone777 View Post
EDIT: Ok, the more i think about it, the more stupid it sounds... but i still want to do green tea mead, maybe rack onto fresh ginger...

I did a "Tonic" mead, which used Yerba Buena, Hibiscus, Green Tea, Ginger and Camomile. came out pretty good, with quite a "tea-like" flavor. I dig one out when a friend of mine is feeling a bit under the weather, cures 'em right up.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #26
Driftless
Recipes 

Quote:
In regard to Coffee Mead... what would happen if you started out with regular mead, and dumped your leftover coffee in there each day?

EDIT: Ok, the more i think about it, the more stupid it sounds...
Hmmm... creative - but risky... And I see two holes in the theory: 1) Leftover coffee??? Who are we kidding? and 2) As you pointed out - you start seriously altering your ratios... lots more water. And the used grounds would be just that - used.

Quote:
but i still want to do green tea mead, maybe rack onto fresh ginger...
I just sampled my ginger as I racked it to the secondary: 3 gallon batch with one full frozen ginger root grated and pre-boiled 30 minutes in the water for the primary and then strained out. That zip puts a smile on my face - and I think a hint of green tea would slide in nicely.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #27
BigStone777
Recipes 

I have my first Cyser thats about ready to be racked for bulk aging... i may add some more honey, maybe also some ginger, cinnamon, and green tea (thinking about boiling those 3 in 1lb of honey, and racking onto it). We will see. I wouldn't normally boil honey for mead or Cyser, but maybe will this time so as to avoid adding too much water.
Depending on the strength of the stuff i rack onto, i will either leave it all in until bottling time, or rack again in a month. Any suggestions with that?
Yes, I am aware that adding this adds sugar, and will likely make it ferment a little more and do more bubbling. I like bubbles. Yay for bubbles!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #28
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
... i may add some more honey, maybe also some ginger, cinnamon, and green tea (thinking about boiling those 3 in 1lb of honey, and racking onto it).
Although I have used cinnamon in a cyser (in stick pieces form), I have not used the other items you're considering.

Assuming your cyser tastes fine, I would urge caution when adding spices (any spices) as it can easily be overdone - learned the hard way. Also, sometimes the flavor combinations we think will be great, come out something quite different when mixed into meads other than traditional mead.

One method you might like to consider is to make a strong "tea" of the 3 flavors using a small amount of water - say 250-400 ml. Boil it down to ½ volume, remove from the heat, cool slightly, and then mix-in the honey. Keep a record of the amounts of each ingredient used.

Once the mixture is cooled to <100°F, draw a small sample from your cyser (~100ml). Now add a measured amount of your "tea" - say ~1-2ml. Mix thoroughly, and lest rest for an hour.

Now taste a small portion of the flavored test sample, taking your time to evaluate it. Adjust the sample to your liking, but keep a record of the volumes used, and wait at least an hour between subsequent tastings. Keep in mind "less is more".

I realize this seems like a lot of time & effort, but you'll be considerably more pleased with the results than just guessing at what seems right...

Once you have a sample that you like, you can ratio the amount of the "tea" to be added to the remaining volume of mead with some confidence it will produce what you wanted...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
BigStone777
Recipes 

Quote:
One method you might like to consider is to make a strong "tea" of the 3 flavors using a small amount of water - say 250-400 ml. Boil it down to ½ volume, remove from the heat, cool slightly, and then mix-in the honey. Keep a record of the amounts of each ingredient used.
Thats actually the method i was thinking of using, so i would be controlling how strong or weak it turns out, rather than guessing. The specific instructions you gave are useful. Thanks. I may do that tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 AM   #30
dudasaj
Dude
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
...... The acid in the coffee should help, shouldn't it, i guess depending on the pre-existing Ph levels...?
Just thinking out loud....
Coffee pH is generally 5.5-6.2 so it would raise the pH away from your ideal range.

Quick Reply