Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Coffee Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
BigStone777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coffee Mead

Before I started brewing (just several weeks ago), i asked a friend if one could make anything by fermenting coffee or coffee beans... he said there really isn't anything fermentable in coffee.
Well, now that i have been reading on this stuff, could one make mead using coffee instead of water? Or what would happen if one added a few cups of coffee beans to second fermentation?

There is actually a way to make coffee, called 'cold brewing'. that is, you put coffee beans in a bottle of water, and put it in the fridge for a long time. The flavor eventually comes out, without even heating the water or grinding the beans...

Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.
If all else fails, just drink more mead anyway...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I made a German Chocolate coffee mead a few months ago doing just that. As you said, I cold brewed some crushed flavored coffee beans and made mead with the diluted coffee. It's only 6-8 months old and I haven't tried it yet. It had a very nice aroma when it was bottled though.

Last edited by summersolstice; 10-20-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
BigStone777
Recipes 

Wow, that sounds good... Maybe I'll have to follow suit... that seems like an excellent choice for a year round drink...

Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Driftless
Recipes 

Details man... Details!

I am curious about this... How much coffee? How much water? How long did you cold-brew? (And why not just regular brew?)

Cheers!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
Driftless
Recipes 

BS777: Where are you finding coffee in China? Four things Chinese seem to neglect:

Beer
Coffee
Bread
Cheese

Which also happens to be four of my favorites... Been able to make the first three myself (coffee grows here), but still coming up short on the cheese...

我有一点不高兴

Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a mead idea I've been coming up with in my head including coffee. I'll let folks know when I nail it all down and do it. Maybe in the next month or two.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
BigStone777
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
BS777: Where are you finding coffee in China?
Where i live in Zhengzhou City, theres a market for restaurants and hotels to buy their equipment like crazy big woks and stuff that you don't see in the normal shops. Among other things, they sell coffee beans in clear plastic 'coffee bags', and no labels or brands on the bags, really cheap but descent quality. I pay 25 yuan a bag, and I think its just under a Kg of beans. They have several kinds, my favorite of which is Brazil. I got some Cuban coffee at one point, and it was amazing... but they stopped carrying it. Right now the coffee i have is Peets, brought to be from the US. I dont have a source for cheese, though I bet a western restaurant here would sell me some...

I have an international trade company in HK, and a friend with a tea factory in FuJian... I've been thinking about making my own brand of coffee beans for export... and of course to share with my friends in the mainland... Question is, if you buy a coffee plant from Cuba or Columbia, and grow it in southern China, can you label it as Cuban or Columbian coffee?

我每天很高兴。

Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 AM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStone777 View Post
I have an international trade company in HK, and a friend with a tea factory in FuJian... I've been thinking about making my own brand of coffee beans for export... and of course to share with my friends in the mainland... Question is, if you buy a coffee plant from Cuba or Columbia, and grow it in southern China, can you label it as Cuban or Columbian coffee?

我每天很高兴。
Climate has much more to do with the end product than the plant when it comes to coffee. I would think you would end up with different beans in HK than you would elsewhere, even using the same plant. You might be better off either working on a deal to import beans or cultivate your own HK Coffee image.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
Driftless
Recipes 

ChshreCat is correct: the variety would be where its grown (Fujian Coffee)

I think in Fujian, you would have trouble with arabica (too far north?) but robusta might work... Both are thriving here, and some are trying to encourage farmers to shade-grow it under the sprawling rubber plantations. Perhaps all they need is a committed buyer / exporter?

Shade grown / organic: now that's a seller...

Lets talk

Old 10-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless View Post
Details man... Details!

I am curious about this... How much coffee? How much water? How long did you cold-brew? (And why not just regular brew?)

Cheers!
I made a 5-gallon batch of traditional mead so I could experiment with adding flavor during the bulk aging phase. One was a Metheglin using spices, another was a Metheglin using elderberries, herbs, and dried flower petals. The last was the coffee mead.

I cold steeped 8 ounces of freshly ground German Chocolate coffee beans for 14 hours. I added one cup of the steeped and strained coffee to one cup of a 50-50 honey water mixture and added it to one gallon of traditional mead which had fermented to dryness.

OG on the traditional mead: 1.106 which fermented to .996. The final product after the addition of the coffee/honey was 1.006.

Cold steeping is the preferred way to use coffee in recipes since it allows you to extract the coffee flavor without bringing out the oils and acidity that come with traditional hot brewing.

Quick Reply