Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Coconut mead. Have I created a monster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
BangladeshBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coconut mead. Have I created a monster?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to make a coconut mead at the moment. I found a recipe for 'groovy coconut mead' (you can google it). I drilled some coconuts (the new green fresh type), extracted the juice, warmed the juice, mixed it with honey and then added some dry yeast. I then put the mix back into the coconuts and sealed with an airlock (I have two bubble airlocks and one improvised job with a nipple and balloon). I After a week I stopped getting bubbles, and the balloon deflated.

I don't know if I have created a monster. But it tasted alcoholic when I tried some at the point of extraction from the coconuts.

I have now bottled the stuff in a coke bottle. There is a around a liter. I added cloves, pepper, and cinnamon sticks. I am hoping the mix will become effervescent. It is bubbling a little.

Bangladesh is hot, which is an aid to brewing.

I have no idea if I have even created Mead, or how to proceed. What do you think?

I am starting a second thread on what I might brew with limited ingredients and facilities.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds delicious... I'm going to keep a tab on this, let us know how it tastes in the end!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Indian_villager
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds like you took the concept of Toddy and went the next step. I love that fact that you are using the coconuts as fermenters!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
BangladeshBrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for your replies. We have many Sri Lankan medical students in Chittagong, where I live. They informed me that some kind of booze was made with coconuts, but didn't know how it was done. I managed to google up this

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBIQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.stormthecastle.com%2Fmead%2Fone-groovy-coconut-mead.htm&ei=YQobTJq8A4-UrAfD24StDA&usg=AFQjCNErkqllzljT4g62b3kSwzEAD4QSQQ &sig2=g8BqIzSjaC976000P6LHbg

Which is not a traditional method. But I had to start somewhere :-)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 744 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 1938

Using coconuts as fermenters as well as fermenting the coconut... This is THE COOLEST thing I've read all day! It sounds like something you'd see on Gilligan's Island or maybe in a Corona commercial. This is just genius! I hope it turns out tasty. I'd try it myself, but coconuts aren't cheap, or fresh in Montana. Regards, GF.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
BangladeshBrewer
Recipes 

This is the setup (if the add image works)

Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

This would be cooler if coconuts didn't make me gag and puke.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #8
BangladeshBrewer
Recipes 

Default Strange things are happening with my coconut mead!

This is my first time brewing, so perhaps this is normal. To recap, I made a 'mead' by using coconut juice instead of water and adding about 100 ml of honey (so I think far less than normal). Perhaps you won't call this mead. I am totally inexperienced. I mixed three heaped tea spoons with the warmed mix of honey and coconut juice. Then I injected the lot back into coconuts and put on air locks. I fermented the mix for about 5 days inside the coconuts. When the balloon (home made) 'airlock' deflated I took the juice out. It seemed alcoholic.

Now I put the lot into a coke bottle. There was quite a bit of sediment at the bottom. I had to open the bottle a few times to allow some of the build up of gas to escape. After a couple of days I got inspired to add cloves, ginger, cracked pepper. A couple of days after that I foolishly thought I might be done (total inexperience) and transferred the mix, less sediment, to small plastic bottles and shoved them in the fridge.

Just a few hours later, after reading more, I realised it would take months to make anything. So I took the reduced liquid (the sediment, ginger, etc all thrown out) and put it into the coke bottle with the balloon to stop it bursting.

All in all the stuff had only been in the coconut 5 days and in the coke bottle, bubbling away, for another five.

Now things got interesting. The balloon inverted, showing that the mix was eating oxygen but not producing the same volume or carbon dioxide (or whatever). There is a serious vacuum in the bottle. There is a layer of sediment at the bottom. Also about 1.5 inches down there is a layer of sediment. The liquid is otherwise clearing. It is the colour of white beer.

Can anyone tell me what is happening?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Brewdouche-RuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Oh...Oh.... I know I know

I know part of this.

I have made a Bannana,Pineaple,Coconut wine 2 times. Get a load of this. If you use fresh coconut milk the "Stuff at the top". Is coco butter. Oil floats on water.

As for the "vacum" thats a mystery to me.

You knuckleheadz are my kinda smacktardZ
#3 DONT be a Brewdouche.
Comprehensive Beer Podcast list.
BasicBrewing
The Brewing Network

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Brewdouche-RuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default I found a pic on my thumbdrive.