Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Clover Honey, Molasses W/lime Juice And Cinnamon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
STEVENJAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Finally bottled

I bottled this a couple of weeks ago ( I sampled of course). It is much more mellow than I thought it would be. This will be very drinkable within a few short months. If this is how my goofy concoction turned out, I can't wait to find out how my straightforward Mead will be. I would not be embarassed to share this with a friend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
Keyosuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
You mentioned a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, that is likely your "sediment on the top." Also, you may notice some nasty looking, mucilaginous slime developing later, don't be alarmed, ground cinnamon does that. You can avoid the slime by using cinnamon in stick form, also you might add it during secondary to get a better & more true flavour. A whole cup of molasses in 1 gallon is a lot, I doubt you'll be able to taste the honey. I like to use about 2-3 oz of molasses in 5-6 gallons of cyser, really makes the apple pop. Lime juice doesn't really ad much of anything the yeast can use as a nutrient, mostly all it (or any citrus juice) adds is acids, lowering the ph. Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.
I surfed in here trying to see if anyone else has ever had cinnamon slime. Seems it's not just me. I have that slime in my spicey tea and figured it was probably due to the cassia (cheap cinnamon in the US). Anyway, I saw someone saying lime juice doesn't benefit yeast much, and I wanted to state that I disagree. While I don't use like juice (I use crushed vitamin C tablets) I can say that yeast is a major lover of ascorbic acid/vitamin C. I first learned this when talking to a sour dough bread baker who traditionally raises his own yeast. If you look at the contents of "active dry yeast" packages, you will notice some vitamin C in there as well (or at least the ones I have). I'm not advising anyone to use bread yeast in a brew, but if you do a little research on what nutrients Saccharomyces cerevisia likes ot have in its diet, you may see a beneficial component of lime (or any citrus) in your brew.

On a side note, I don't use any citrus juice in mine, because it imparted an unpleasant smell to the end product whenever I have. The smell of fermenting oranges is not my favorite thing and got me some bad reviews once.

Last edited by Keyosuke; 02-19-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Correcting typo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply