New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Clover Honey, Molasses W/lime Juice And Cinnamon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
STEVENJAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Clover Honey, Molasses W/lime Juice And Cinnamon

Well right or wrong I just started a mead after reading about it for weeks.
I made 1 gallon in a tea jug. If this turns into something drinkable I will be defying all known mead laws. I just got tired of doing nothing and decided to do something. You can start calling me names or admonishing me for my naive behavior. Whether it's right or wrong ....it's done!!
Oh Yeah....Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

A recipe would be useful, hard to critique without more info. I've used molasses in a couple of cysers & I found that a little bit goes a long way. I've also used citrus, both juice & zest, and discovered that the zest is the best part to use for flavour. I wouldn't have thought that lime would go with the molasses, but then I thought the same thing about lime & mint, then I discovered the mojito I'm curious to see how this turns out, who knows, this might be the next big thing. Regards, GF.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
STEVENJAN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recipe

It probably would have been a good idea to follow a recipe.
Frankly I cleaned out my cupboard.
I have had the yeast for over 2 weeks and I was bottling up my beer and was going to start a new batch of Vienna Lager and I looked at the wife and said. I am going to do the "Mead". I say that loosely because I don't know if you can define it as mead as yet. I'll let you know if I don't blow up the garage with my concoction. I had 2 jars of honey in the cupboard..probably 3 cups,24oz.(?) and I knew I was short for a gallon. I added about a cup or so of molasses. about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. 1 tsp. lime juice for a nutrient(?).
My wife thought I was nuts. She is probably right. Everybody said making mead was a no brainer. I guess I'll prove everyone right or wrong.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
STEVENJAN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default WOW! good or bad?

I just checked my mead in the garage. It is fizzing like crazy. Is that a good sign or a bad sign? Is this stuff flammable? The yeast is working overtime. It is very dark because of the molasses. It looks like there is sediment on top. Do you leave that or do you skim it off? Wow! It's only been 4 hours. Is it too hot? Too much yeast? Too many goodies in it?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

did you do a boil or is this a "dump and stir" mead?

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
somedudefromneworleans
Recipes 

Yes, it's supposed to fizz. And it won't have near enough alcohal to be flamable and blow up the garage. Just leave it alone for a few months.

I use Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe and I let it age for at least 4 months before drinking it, I've heard that most other recipes need to be aged 6 months to a year before they're worth drinking.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
STEVENJAN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Boiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
did you do a boil or is this a "dump and stir" mead?
I boiled the water and molasses. I took it off the heat after adding the cinnamon and lime juice. At that point I added the honey. The wife proofed the yeast in the meantime. I put the pan in the freezer. I bottled my beer, made a new batch and then I dumped the mead mix in the water in the tea jug. Checked the temp (to the touch) pitched the yeast and then voila, fizzing!!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

You mentioned a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, that is likely your "sediment on the top." Also, you may notice some nasty looking, mucilaginous slime developing later, don't be alarmed, ground cinnamon does that. You can avoid the slime by using cinnamon in stick form, also you might add it during secondary to get a better & more true flavour. A whole cup of molasses in 1 gallon is a lot, I doubt you'll be able to taste the honey. I like to use about 2-3 oz of molasses in 5-6 gallons of cyser, really makes the apple pop. Lime juice doesn't really ad much of anything the yeast can use as a nutrient, mostly all it (or any citrus juice) adds is acids, lowering the ph. Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
STEVENJAN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Next Batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
You mentioned a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, that is likely your "sediment on the top." Also, you may notice some nasty looking, mucilaginous slime developing later, don't be alarmed, ground cinnamon does that. You can avoid the slime by using cinnamon in stick form, also you might add it during secondary to get a better & more true flavour. A whole cup of molasses in 1 gallon is a lot, I doubt you'll be able to taste the honey. I like to use about 2-3 oz of molasses in 5-6 gallons of cyser, really makes the apple pop. Lime juice doesn't really ad much of anything the yeast can use as a nutrient, mostly all it (or any citrus juice) adds is acids, lowering the ph. Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.
Thanks GF. I probably will end up with more of a molasses beer than a honey wine. I am already thinking about doing a JAOM or a MAOM or something in between. This one was more of a "get off of the dime and do something" moment than anything else. It was kind of like when I got my beer kit for Chrisstmas. I had been thinking of doing homebrew for years but never got around to doing it. I have fermented three batches and I am working on my fourth since Christmas. It just took getting off of the couch and doing it. I know some people look down on the Mr Beer kit but, it's a start. Also, it's been good bear. Did you know that George Washington brewed molasses beer? Out of necessity.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

You might want to pick up a copy of The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm, it's the most useful book on the subject of mead making I've read so far & really does help to answer questions new mead makers may not even think to ask. I saw a show on either the History Channel, or the Discovery Chanel that mention George Washington's molasses beer, also that he made whiskey; I think it's pretty cool that the father of my country was also a brewer/distiller. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply