New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Clarity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
tooomanycolors
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clarity

My roommate suggested crash cooling my mead to get all the yeast to fall out of suspension. Is this possible or is this even advisable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Absolutely. If you can, put it in the garage or if its in small enough containers, in the fridge for a week or two. The yeast will drop much quicker in colder climates. When you want to rack off of it though, make sure you keep the mead in the fridge or outside until right before you rack, or some of that yeast might come back into suspension as it warms.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would this drastic drop in temp ruin the yeast? meaning, Im planning on using the yeast again in the next batch of mead. so would this still be possible or with the yeast be effectively dead?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooomanycolors
Would this drastic drop in temp ruin the yeast? meaning, Im planning on using the yeast again in the next batch of mead. so would this still be possible or with the yeast be effectively dead?
Well, you would only crash cool the secondary, after racking a few times and after fermentation is done. So, you wouldn't be reusing this yeast. You would take the earlier yeast from the primary or secondary.

I only crash cool after fermentation is completely done, and has been done for quite a while. I rack every 30-45 days as long as there are lees. You wouldn't want the yeast after that length of time.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
I rack every 30-45 days as long as there are lees. You wouldn't want the yeast after that length of time.
Thank you... I had not thought to do this multiple times. I have a dunkleweizen that I threw into the beer fridge for about 24 hours, and then put it into the basement, and it is looking very clear, but I had not thought to transfer it to another secondary and try again.

My LHBS

Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The mead Im considering doing this to is still in the primary, but only because I dont have honey for another batch yet, the gravity has been the same for close to 2 weeks now, and I wont have honey until mid January at the earliest, so at that point if I rack to a secondary and then Immediatly put new honey on the original yeast would it be good to go? And at that point I would put the original mead now in a secondary outside, covered to protect from sunlight, to crash cool?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerbil
Thank you... I had not thought to do this multiple times. I have a dunkleweizen that I threw into the beer fridge for about 24 hours, and then put it into the basement, and it is looking very clear, but I had not thought to transfer it to another secondary and try again.
We're talking mead here. Beer is done quickly and doesn't actually have a secondary fermentation period. Mead does, and mead can be in a carboy a year or more before being bottled. That's why you rack at regular intervals if it's needed, to get it off the lees.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
The mead Im considering doing this to is still in the primary, but only because I dont have honey for another batch yet, the gravity has been the same for close to 2 weeks now, and I wont have honey until mid January at the earliest, so at that point if I rack to a secondary and then Immediatly put new honey on the original yeast would it be good to go? And at that point I would put the original mead now in a secondary outside, covered to protect from sunlight, to crash cool?
I'm no mead expert, but that's not what I would do. I wouldn't crash cool the mead for at least 3-4 months or more.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I would go ahead and move to the secondary as soon as possible, and you can always dump the yeast slurry into a sanitized container and throw it in the fridge, and it should last just fine until you are ready to use it in mid January. On top of that, you could go ahead and read up, here on the site, or in other sources, on Yeast Washing, and you will find that you could split up that yeast batch and get many more meads out of it.

My LHBS

Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 AM   #10
ALPS
Recipes 

Quote:
No reason you can't move the carboy (or bucket) to a cooler place and wait for a few more weeks till you have all your ingredients gathered up for the next batch. By then a lot of the yeast will have dropped out of suspention, and then you'll have a clearer mead to rack to secondary.

Or you could just spend $2 and get some fresh yeast in January.

A fool and his money are soon partying.

Quick Reply