Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > clarifying/filtering mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
tenchu_11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default clarifying/filtering mead

I've had some habiscus, cinemon & dried orange peel mead fermenting for 2 weeks. Everytime i open the bucket it seems clear until i get some out with my wine theif only to find it cloudy. Most of the loose particles, of orange peel zest have settled to the bottom but i'm afraid when i transfer to a secondary the particles will get sucked up. I was thinking of sterilizing a white t-shirt cutting it up and using a patch of it as a filter on my siphoning hose (its finer than cheese cloth which the particles escaped from during fermentation). I was thinking of using a rubberband to hold the t-shirt in place around the mouth of the siphoning hose...question one will the rubberband give an off taste? If so is there a way to avoid it? Second question (this is my first mead that isn't just honey) how long before my mead clarifies? Do I just need to let it sitt longer or leave it out over night in my 40F to make any particles sink. Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

at 2 weeks you have a ways to go before you do anything.

Time is the best clarifier, and some crash cooling isn't a bad idea.

I wouldn't filter it at all.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Malkore is right. Most of it will drop out with time, but first fermentation must complete and de-gassing must take place. When you do run into a batch with particle or seeds that need to be strained out, I find nylons stockings works wonderfully, and they are easy to sanitize. It helps if you have a wife/girl-friend to purchase them. Otherwise the sales person may give you some strange looks or make some comments - "Sir, I don't think those are your size."

Quick Reply