The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Citrus mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 AM   #11
m_f
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
That Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice recipe gets around! Wish i had shares in Fleishmann’s bread yeast!

beyondthepale - Citrus notes work well with mead just don't overdo the acid. A little acidity (and nutrient) helps yeast to get a hold on the honey in a mead anyway. If you added grapefruit i'd do it at the primary in a fairly small quantity. But do experiment - try a few smaller batches and vary if possible as Bill suggested and find one to suit.
I'm doing this tomorrow as well.
Went to meijer's to buy the yeast... This brand is the most expensive breaders yeast among 5 brands available hahahahaha!
still cheaper than dry ale yeast though

and you know about this recipe: don't change a thing otherwise the guarantee expires

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
mbeattie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing
Ok,

To give credit, this recipe comes from Joe over on Gotmead.com . Lots of us have tried it and it gives you a quick (70 days and it is ready to drink) citrus mead. He uses oranges but there is no reason why you couldn't try grapefruit.

1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80).

How does this recipe turn out with different yeast? Like ale or wine yeast?

Old 03-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeattie
How does this recipe turn out with different yeast? Like ale or wine yeast?
NO! The whole point is to use the bread yeast. Don't do it.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Now, I remember reading that recipe in one of my books.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:49 AM   #15
beyondthepale

Recipes 

Well you know, I had some success once making some sort of brew from honey, molasses, bakers yeast and water, in a plastic fermenter with no attempts at, or even knowledge of, sanitation whatsoever. It wasn't the greatest thing I've ever drank, but at 17, that didn't matter very much. It was good enough that I'd actually like to try it again, one batch with the bakers and one with something good...

Bottled/Conditioning:

Bottled/Drinking: Monadnock IPA

Keg: Empty

Coming soon: Bravery's Prophecy, Muckraker Stout

Quick Reply