Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Chili, light agave, and cocoa.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
ruin7734
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd say its safe to assume I do not know how to read a hydrometer...input pls as to the actual SG or if you need a different view of the hydrometer.

forumrunner_20120613_115043.jpg

The tip of my thumb is where the liquid sits. As far as the taste is concerned, it is still insanely sweet and spicy.

The Brewmaster. Best's Black Forest Meadery. Dayton, OR.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It looks like you were reading it pretty close to right, kinda tough. To see exact but it looks like you are in the area of 1.096-1.100. And if it's sweet then yeah it's still a pretty high SG.

You may want to get another pack of 1118 and treat it like you're starting from the beginning, give it some nutrients, from what I was able to find you'd probably do well to increase the amount at least 1.5-2 times what is recommended and shake/stir the sh!t out of it, get it really aerated well, rehydrate the yeast with a tiny bit of the must, 1-2 tsp,and nutrients, 1/4 tsp, mixed in a cup of water that's about 104 degrees, let it sit 15 minutes, mix and pitch it and give it all another really good mixing.

From that point staggered nutrients and daily aeration until the SG drops to the 1.075 range then let it just go on its own and you'll be golden. Also you said it's real spicy, if it's more than you think you might want and you still have peppers in it, take them out now.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #13
ruin7734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, I've added the inoculate and aerated the bejesus out of it. I'll post when I see improvements. I pulled the chilies out when I racked out all the gross lees after the first attempt. I'm anxiously waiting for the final result, which is likely going to need a nice and long aging to let the chile mellow.

The Brewmaster. Best's Black Forest Meadery. Dayton, OR.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS