Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cherry Vanilla Melomel questions - when to add fruit/vanilla

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Mathematics
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cherry Vanilla Melomel questions - when to add fruit/vanilla

This is only my third mead, and the first where I haven't pretty strictly followed a recipe I've found here or on gotmead...here's what I have, for a 5 gal batch:

14# clover honey
8# sweet cherries
3# cherry puree
4 Madagascar vanilla beans
2 packets of KV1116 (rehydrated & made a starter last night)
nutrient/energizer & acid blend

I have both glass carboys and a plastic brewing bucket available. My question is how to add the cherry...I was thinking of adding the puree into the primary fermentation and letting it sit for 4-5 weeks or until I'm close to my FG. Then racking onto the frozen-thawed-and then mashed cherries in secondary. I'd rack again after 2 weeks on top of 3-4 split vanilla beans.

Is there a better way to do this? I was contemplating letting the honey ferment on its own and then racking to the cherries as well. Also looking for input on using a plastic bucket vs. carboy (I really dont trust plastic). I am thinking I may have a bit much cherry too...

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply