The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cherry Melomel- should I be concerned?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Adding the fruit in primary will give you a different result than doing it after fermentation is finished. This is a well known item. While fermenting, the action will 'blow-off' a lot of the flavors from the fruit. IF you add them post fermentation, the flavors/aromas of the fruit will remain. This holds true for any flavor additions you make to a mead.

If you don't believe it, do it both ways for yourself. Use the same amount of fruit for both parts, but have one batch where you add it post fermentation.
I 100% agree.
Fruit in the secondary makes a fruit flavored mead.
Fruit in the primary makes a mead and fruit wine blend.

But one is only 'better' than the other if that's what you are aiming for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
El_Shulo
Recipes 

All I can say is... Wow.

Thanks, Golddiggie, Halbrust, and jwitt! Great advice and viewpoints from all. I didn't actually expect to get so many replies.

Here is what I am going to do:

1. I will save Papazian for beer-making!
2. I will put this first attempt at mead aside and hope for the best. BTW I do have a cellar- seems that most houses in Denver do. It isn't pretty, but I have storage space and it is cool-ish (low 70's now, probably low 60's/ high 50's in the winter) and dark down there.
3. After reading everyone's comments, I really want to try a second batch now- using all of the same ingredients but not boiling anything, saving the cherries for the secondary after fermentation is complete, and waiting 6, 9, to 12 months before bottling.

If people are interested, I'll let you know if the weird smell in the first batch ever dissipates.

Many thanks again-

Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sounds good! I'm going to do a little research on wine yeast fermentation temps to help decide when to put down my next batches. I've used Pasteur Champagne in the past, but I'm curious about Cotes de Blanc or a couple of the Lalvin offerings to get a bit of a different flavor.

You should definitely save some of the batch and carb it up! Cold, crisp, and refreshing.

Quick Reply