Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Check out my Lemon-Ginger Mead Recipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Mr. Nice Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Check out my Lemon-Ginger Mead Recipe...

I decided to make up a mead for my second batch, my first one was JAOM and it is still fermenting. Tell me what you think... whatever is helpful.

Recipe; 1 gallon batch:
3 pounds clover honey
zest and juice of a lemon
25 or so raisins
about 2 cups of ginger tea
(I got 2 cups water and a 1.5 inch cube of sliced ginger, simmered it for about 15 minutes, then turned off the heat and added 1 tea bag of cheap black/orange pekoe tea for tannins, let sit a couple of minutes or so, then added my lemon zest to it for about 30 seconds to help release the oils)
1/5 tsp yeast nutrient (weird chemical stuff so I use 1/5 of recommended)
I topped off with some tap and mostly RO water, my tap water is kinda funky, then shook hard for a couple minutes and added
lalvin D-47 yeast

Everything looks great so far, I put this together last night and this morning saw airlock activity, I keep my house around 65 degrees btw...
I'm hoping for something drinkable here in a few months, but don't mind waiting longer. I hope to get a mead with a balanced sweetness, not too dry, not too sweet.

So what do you think?

Reason: can't spell, general confusion...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds like a winner. Let us know how it comes out. But why only 1/5 tsp of nutrient?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I only used a little nutrient for several reasons. #1 it just looks nasty, I don't even know what diammonium phosphate actually is. I think it may contribute to metallic off flavors but that is just something I have heard, don't know for sure. I have also heard that the raisins provide a little bit of nutrient but don't know for sure. Also, back in the day they didn't use it, so why should I now. (well it will take longer I guess) I am using the JAOM as a "template" for this mead but I know the changes I made are too dramatic to compare recipes, Charlie P's books also gave me ideas, he mentions that you don't need nutrient, but hey that guy doesn't worry about anything, lol...

So basically I just don't really know what I'm doing and figured a little nutrient might help. (yeah I'm really new to this, will probably look at this in a few years and just laugh)

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

BTW, I strained the ginger out of the mead but left in the lemon zest...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Look up Hightest's sticky. Yeah nutrients weren't used before, so you can choose to not use them. I, more for a lack of having nutrients, made several batches without them. However, it helps to create a more consistant product, as well as providing the yeasts with everything they need to work quickly, and more importantly better. This leads to yeasts that aren't stressed and that leads to better mead.

If you want to go without because you would like be more traditional, that certainly is fine. But I will say, using only a little bit seems slightly hypocritical, and if you're going to use it, you should use it in the proper methods and amounts.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
If you want to go without because you would like be more traditional, that certainly is fine. But I will say, using only a little bit seems slightly hypocritical, and if you're going to use it, you should use it in the proper methods and amounts.
No, I thought that if I only used a little in conjunction with the raisins that the yeast would have enough nutrients. I don't want any left over, unused nutrient in my mead if for some reason I added too much. This way I know that the yeast is getting some nutrients for sure. I figure if there is debate over using something, why not compromise. (I have read the sticky, that is one of the reasons for the nutrient)

Old 02-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tusch,

Hey man sorry to be so defensive, I appreciate your advice. Thanks...

Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Tusch
Recipes 

Oh no it's cool, I came off a bit strong too. I was just confused why you would be ok with using some but not the full recommended amounts. A lot of brewing is personal preference, so you're free to ignore me entirely haha, I'm not much of an expert just passing on what I have been told for the most part.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
stpierre
Recipes 

When I make ginger syrup for mixed drinks, I like to toss some peppercorns in to the "tea" for a little extra zing. Not sure how that'd work in mead, but it'd be worth a try.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tusch,
Yeah, I'm usually "black and white" on things, but this time I compromised, probably just a newbie mistake, who knows. I compare this too much to my other hobby, growing plants, "no, not too much nutrients!", lol...

Stpierre,
Good idea, I may try it later, most good ginger drinks have some kind of pepper in them, yum. I want to make a molasses/ginger cider soon, may have to try that, Thanks!

Quick Reply