Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > carrot cider?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
BigStone777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Henan Province, China
Posts: 66
Default carrot cider?

I post this almost jokingly, but i was also wondering opinions... is fresh carrot juice able to be fermented? In theory, could one make carrot mead or carrot cider?
Hm, i might try to make a pint or at most a gal of carrot cider just to see. If its nasty, it could make a good white elephant gift...

__________________
Support Medicinal Mead
Another reason not to boil honey when making mead: Honey which comes from local bees carries pollen and pathogens relevant to your area. Consuming these natural medicines will boost your resistance to local pollens and other allergens. Boiling destroys them.
If all else fails, just drink more mead anyway...
BigStone777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,620
Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Default

Yes, and I believe Orfy made a carrot wine. I've never made it, but I would if I had enough carrots. I have a recipe somewhere in a book that I'll try to dig up later today. (I have an appointment in about 15 minutes!)

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
mrsunshades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ball Ground, GA
Posts: 41
Default hard apple/carrot cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStone777 View Post
I post this almost jokingly, but i was also wondering opinions... is fresh carrot juice able to be fermented? In theory, could one make carrot mead or carrot cider?
Hm, i might try to make a pint or at most a gal of carrot cider just to see. If its nasty, it could make a good white elephant gift...
I've always loved fresh carrot juice from the juicer, and even better is adding a couple apples to the mix - apple/carrot juice is heavenly!!! Well, just think about the possibilities - hard apple cider is great; why not add carrots and a little honey for a carro-cyser !!!
__________________
mrsunshades is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,465
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Carro-cyser sounds like an updhoch.

__________________

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Krausen89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 98
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

So I just tried a batch of apple carrot cider. Has honey, but only about half cup dry mes. Cup. For a half gal batch I used macintost and granny smith apples and 3 carrots. Pasturized and topped up with water. Email me for full recipe if you would like to try it. Im only.going to ferment for a couple days and bottle. Ill keep you guys posted

__________________
Krausen89 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Krausen89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 98
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

forumrunner_20120718_171902.jpg
__________________
Krausen89 is offline
cyncastic Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Onihige
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 257
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

That is a great way of getting your inbox spammed, if not worse. If you're giving out your e-mail publicly, do it like this: "bla_bla_@_gmail_.com (remove all the _)" or something similar. Expecially if your passwords are weak. Often people go to forums, browse the user list and try a username and use their nickname backwards as password. If it works, and there are always people with stupid passwords - they will try your e-mail too.

Edit: removed his e-mail from my post.

__________________
Onihige is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Krausen89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 98
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige

That is a great way of getting your inbox spammed, if not worse. If you're giving out your e-mail publicly, do it like this: "bla_bla_@_gmail_.com (remove all the _)" or something similar. Expecially if your passwords are weak. Often people go to forums, browse the user list and try a username and use their nickname backwards as password. If it works, and there are always people with stupid passwords - they will try your e-mail too.
Thanks for the advice. I changed it I hope that works
__________________
Krausen89 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
anplica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 1
Default Recipe request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krausen89 View Post
So I just tried a batch of apple carrot cider. Has honey, but only about half cup dry mes. Cup. For a half gal batch I used macintost and granny smith apples and 3 carrots. Pasturized and topped up with water. Email me for full recipe if you would like to try it. Im only.going to ferment for a couple days and bottle. Ill keep you guys posted
This sounds like a great experiment & I'd like to try some carrot cyser myself. Krausen, please email me your recipe: anplica(at)gmail(dot)com. Anyone else have tips for how much carrot juice to add to a standard cyser recipe for a newbie?

Thanks!
__________________
anplica is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,089
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

I made a carrot mead before. Can you guess which one is it?

__________________
BBBF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrot Beer? RichBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 33 03-23-2014 02:49 AM
Carrot wine is delicious! JeremyCT Wine Making Forum 64 03-22-2014 02:50 AM
carrot n ginger cider (ginger fear ) carlos Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 4 09-29-2011 05:09 AM
Orange Carrot Sobe anyone? Ben25 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 06-11-2008 09:33 PM
Carrot wine. Orfy Wine Making Forum 8 03-28-2007 11:23 PM