Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Carmel Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Kungpaodog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you are all missing something easy: caramelize some sugar! That's the main flavor that comes through in caramel sauce, the butter and milk are for creamy texture and taste. And caramelized sugar can't be fermented. I'd think to add it right at the start, just don't burn it.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could also try adding some malto-dextrin to get the creamy mouth-feel. Some back-sweetening might also be in order to get the right sweetness, but that would be a very subjective addition.

Hmmm... this is starting to sound like I might need to try it!

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #13
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
I want to have a carmel flavored mead. My problem is that to make carmel it is essencially butter, milk and sugar as what makes it. I only have access to Alfalfa, Clove, and Wildflower honey. Adding butter and milk is BAD in mead and mead already has sugar in it. So how do I end up with a carmel flavor?
Sure, mead already has sugar in it, but caramel gets its flavour from the *caramelised* sugar. A quick Google search will return several pages explaining how to caramelise sugar.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 12-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
ContinentalDrifter
Recipes 

Has anyone here ever put caramelized stuff in mead? Stuff that's been cooked isn't really supposed to make great mead, from everything I've read. I love baked apples, but I don't know whether the desirable mix of flavours that makes them tasty transfers into the mead, so I wouldn't even bother trying. I'm very interested to hear how this turns out. If I were planning it, I would aim for stuff that tastes like caramel without being cooked.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalDrifter View Post
Has anyone here ever put caramelized stuff in mead? Stuff that's been cooked isn't really supposed to make great mead, from everything I've read.
And where did you read this? Boiling honey is usually advised against, since it potentially drives off some of the more volatile aroma and flavour compounds, but that doesn't mean you can't heat other things. (And you can make a good mead with boiled honey; one poster on rec.crafts.meadmaking conducted a blind test with a panel and they actually preferred the one that had been boiled.)

Quote:
If I were planning it, I would aim for stuff that tastes like caramel without being cooked.
Like what? Crystal malt is cooked--it adds caramel flavour because some of the sugars caramelise during the production process. Caramel syrup and caramel liqueur are made with caramelised sugar. Dark candi sugar adds a bit of caramel flavour because some of the sugars caramelise during the production process (read: cooking).

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #16
ContinentalDrifter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong View Post
And where did you read this?
On the forums here. I've read quite a bit of advice against boiling honey, for instance (maybe more about the nose than the taste, though). When people use fruits, they use fresh or frozen, and tend to stay away from dried, baked, etc. Personally I love caramelized apples, and would use them in mead, but after reading the forums here, I am not planning on doing any meads with baked, dried, or caramelized anything until I hear about others having success. I haven't done any. Don't crucify me over it. Earlier I had asked the question about simply heating the honey and the overwhelming consensus was "no". I didn't mean to imply there's anything you can't put in mead. I would certainly like to hear some success stories about caramelized fruit or sugar in mead. It seems like everyone is concerned with integrating off flavours and burnt flavours into a mead.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #17
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
On the forums here. I've read quite a bit of advice against boiling honey, for instance (maybe more about the nose than the taste, though). When people use fruits, they use fresh or frozen, and tend to stay away from dried, baked, etc.
For the most part, yes, because they're trying to get fresh fruit flavours, which are different from cooked fruit flavours. However, if you look through fruit wine recipes (both here and at The Winemaking Home Page ) a bit more carefully, you'll notice that quite a few of them involve cooking the fruit.

But again, preferences regarding the treatment of fruit or honey has sweet **** all to do with the use of caramelised sugar. Unlike honey, sugar has no subtle character to drive off, and unlike fruit the cooked flavour (caramelisation) is exactly the flavour the OP was looking for.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I didn't realize that caramelised sugar didn't ferment. I figured that as far as the yeast was conserned sugar was sugar. I shall have to look up how to do so safely to some of the honey. I think using the crystal malt would be a good idea but holding some of the honey back and caramelising it prior to back sweetening sounds like it would work as an improvement. I hesitate to use carmel shots that is the artificial flavor for most baristas. Though that could be a good option. Not in the primary of course. I may stick a couple of vanilla beans in it. 2-4, possibly 4.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #19
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Oh, and I found this recipe, some modifications for crystal malt may be in order but it sounds like it might work out as a start.
20 lbs Tupelo honey (SG 1.130)
Water for about 5.5 gallons
2 pkgs Wyeast Rudesheimer smack packs

Add 2 gallons of room temperature water to primary fermentation bucket.

In a heavy-bottom, high-sided saucepan over low to medium-low heat, combine 2 cups honey, 4 Tbsp water, and drop of lemon juice (the lemon juice keeps the mixture from hardening or crystalling). NOTE: By maintaining a low heat on the stove, you'll have more control over the caramelizing process, as it is really easy to burn.

Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until mixture just begins to simmer.

After honey is simmering, cook for approximately 2 minutes, without stirring. Hold handle of pan and gently tilt the pan off the heat to distribute color evenly as honey caramelizes.

When honey reaches a uniform golden brown (light amber) color, immediately remove from heat and carefully stir in 4 cups of water. Watch the changing of the color carefully, it can go past the light brown stage quickly and burn.
Pour the caramelized honey into the primary. Repeat this procedure approximately 12 times.

* Add remaining honey to the primary fermentation bucket.
* Mix like crazy - do not skimp on this step
* Add water and mix while taking SG readings until 1.130 is reached.
* Add the fully inflated packages of yeast.
* Mix like crazy - do not skimp on this step

SNA schedule...

End of lag phase (about 10 hours): 2/3 tsp Fermaid-K, and 1/3 tsp DAP
1/3 sugar break SG 1.090 (about day 4): 1 tsp Fermaid-K
2/3 sugar break SG 1.050 (about day 8): 1 tsp Fermaid-K

Quick Reply