Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Caramelized Honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
hybridspecies725
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Caramelized Honey

I just had the idea of caramelizing my honey before making mead, in order to give it some nutty/toasty notes. Anyone know of any obvious cons to this method, before I try it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do a search for "Bochet" ... there are a few threads showing different levels of caramelized honey.

Some people take it to a burnt level, others simply brown it a bit. It is supposed to give a more marshmallowy flavor to the honey.

I have a 5 gallon batch that is aging - I think I might have taken it a little far on the burnt side. I'd prefer, in retrospect, for a nice caramel color without going towards black.

Also, be forewarned that it can be obnoxious to heat up. It bubbles very high. In a 5 gallon pot, I could only keep it about 1/3 full before I started heating it ... it bubbles up a lot. Oh, and bees are attracted to boiling honey.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
hybridspecies725
Recipes 

Thanks! I was just doing a little research and found this Bochet recipe. I think I'd also rather go for a golden brown or dark brown color. I'm tossing around the idea of making beer clones using honey instead of malt. This technique will definitely come in handy.

Quick Reply