Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > caps leaking shortly after bottling mead....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
fun4stuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default caps leaking shortly after bottling mead....

So I just bottled my mead yesterday after adding sorbate and metabisulfite a couple weeks ago. I have had bottles stored at a downward angle (as you would for corks). Noticed today that a few of the caps are slowly leaking... like a couple had accumulated about a drops worth on the undersurface of the cap overnight. I have had the caps for a few years and used them a 3-4 times.

These are the kind of caps: "28mm PolySeal Screw Caps"
http://www.homebrewing.org/Polyseal-...mm_p_3131.html

So what is the best course of action? I was thinking about buying all new new caps and replacing all of them. This shouldn't ruin the batch, correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
snuesen
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why store them upside down? That's just to prevent cork dry-up.

If you're planning on storing these for a while, you might want to cork them. It will probably oxidize quicker with these caps.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You only need to store laying down when using natural corks, to prevent them from drying out. If you're using caps (of any kind) or synthetic corks, it's not needed.

I did just check my wine bottles. I can't see how these things could work on them...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Only storing them like this because that is how my wine racks were built- to hold the wine sloping down.

You do need special bottles to use these caps. Caps are a lot easier than corks and I had read articles in the past saying that today's caps are just as effective as corks. The trouble is that I reused old caps :/

My real question is if it will hurt to replace all caps today or if I should only replace the ones that are noticeably leaking?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4stuff View Post
Only storing them like this because that is how my wine racks were built- to hold the wine sloping down.

You do need special bottles to use these caps. Caps are a lot easier than corks and I had read articles in the past saying that today's caps are just as effective as corks. The trouble is that I reused old caps :/

My real question is if it will hurt to replace all caps today or if I should only replace the ones that are noticeably leaking?
I would replace them all with corks.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
fun4stuff Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Make sure you screw them down TIGHT by hand and store them standing up. I am assuming you are putting these and the right kind of bottlew and not just a random collection of different bottles you have been collecting for this batch? I just uncapped an 2008 dried elderberry mead using this very same cap, the wine was excellent, no oxidation, no leakage, so they are good for at least 5 years. Good Luck, you might to uncap the leakers, clean around the treads and cap again. Did you soak the caps in some KMeta before you used them? WVMJ

Quote:
So I just bottled my mead yesterday after adding sorbate and metabisulfite a couple weeks ago. I have had bottles stored at a downward angle (as you would for corks). Noticed today that a few of the caps are slowly leaking... like a couple had accumulated about a drops worth on the undersurface of the cap overnight. I have had the caps for a few years and used them a 3-4 times.

These are the kind of caps: "28mm PolySeal Screw Caps"
http://www.homebrewing.org/Polyseal-...mm_p_3131.html

So what is the best course of action? I was thinking about buying all new new caps and replacing all of them. This shouldn't ruin the batch, correct?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I would replace them all with corks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna...ure#Screw_caps

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Don't care, NOT going to put fun king screw caps on my bottles of mead. Besides, they're made for corks, not screw caps. I have no issue with laying [natural] corked bottles on their sides. I even have some synthetic corks (used them in my blackberry melomel as a test). But there's no fun king way I'm going to change over my bottles and use the low-class screw tops.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Don't care, NOT going to put fun king screw caps on my bottles of mead. Besides, they're made for corks, not screw caps. I have no issue with laying [natural] corked bottles on their sides. I even have some synthetic corks (used them in my blackberry melomel as a test). But there's no fun king way I'm going to change over my bottles and use the low-class screw tops.
And despite all the advances in materials and closures, caps etc, if plastic and/or crimped metal caps are so effective, why does it seem that once you get past the budget bin in the wine store, all the better/best stuff is still capped with cork ?

Of course, it might be just a tradition thing, or practical cost consideration of new plant and accessories installation, or heaven forbid, because corks work....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
And despite all the advances in materials and closures, caps etc, if plastic and/or crimped metal caps are so effective, why does it seem that once you get past the budget bin in the wine store, all the better/best stuff is still capped with cork ?

Of course, it might be just a tradition thing, or practical cost consideration of new plant and accessories installation, or heaven forbid, because corks work....
Exactly. Corks have been used for millenia. IF they didn't work well, we wouldn't have 50+, or 100+ year old wines that are viable to go to glass. Granted, you need to properly care for the wines, but anyone that's serious about it will do so.

Personally, I won't buy a wine that's not corked.

As mentioned, all my bottles are made for corks. I'm not about to replace them just so I can put screw caps on them. I'm actually getting ready to get a new floor corker (sold my old one) so that I can cork more things. I'll be able to cork champagne bottles with the new one. So I could use those bottles, for even better presentation. Even if what's in them is not carbonated.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply