Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cadbury Egg Easter Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #21
tuner240
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyVine View Post
When you make this it would be great if you could post pictures of the process plus the finished product in the fermenter. Also an updated recipe of what you use and do would be great.
I plan on doing just that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #22
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did use Champagne yeast with the CCCC wine. It was a slow ferment due to the high gravity (will check notes a bit later). I did lose perhaps 15% volume over time with racking and foam off the top. I will look at FG 'later today'.
You may actually want to step feed with creme egg-water, or use as topping up liquid. You will have gross fudge lees, so maybe make two gallons! I used a 12% chocolate cherry wine which had 4oz dry weight per gallon of Droste unsweetened cocoa powder in primary as my topping up liquid. But a traditional mead would be great for your.

I just thought the recipe would give you an idea, and an indication that it should work out. I would not use a sweet mead yeast on this, stuff is finicky as he11.

I would take a look at sugar carbs on the eggs vs the ccc's, just to get an idea.

Oh, and use a bucket for primary, you will be glad you did! I am going on an egg hunt tomorrow, will make a gallon with you!

Still think you will have a hit!

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Okay, I decided to determine the amount of eggs needed to get some sweetness in the mead. I heated up 4 cups of water to no more than 130F and constantly stirred in 3 eggs until completely dissolved. At that temperature (~125F) I got a gravity reading of 1.020.

I don't know if a room temperature reading will be any different, but I will report back shortly with the results.

EDIT Okay, since I need to get to sleep, and the mixture was near room temperature, I decided to take a couple more readings. I got 1.024 and and then 1.022. Both times I made sure to really stir the mixture up good with my brew-baster before pulling a sample for the cylinder. I know that the hydrometer is not an extremely accurate piece of measuring equipment, but I think that I will take the happy medium and say 1.022. So for 22 pts of gravity in a 1 gallon carboy, you will need 12 eggs (or there about). And for the curious, the mixture smelled absolutely DIVINE. More math and thought is needed to determine actual ratio of fermentables and I will tackle that tomorrow.

dsc08055.jpg   dsc08057.jpg   dsc08059.jpg  

Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #24
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah it's kinda hard predicting an outcome when different conditions, ingredients (unknown eggs and the like) and yeasts are used. The 3lbs per gal is a solid base recipe though.

If you do use the sweet mead liquid yeast make up a starter to hit the ground running.

Hell if you were closer I'd provide some honey for this egg laced meadstrosity.

...I like that sample cylinder btw.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #25
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Yeah it's kinda hard predicting an outcome when different conditions, ingredients (unknown eggs and the like) and yeasts are used. The 3lbs per gal is a solid base recipe though.

If you do use the sweet mead liquid yeast make up a starter to hit the ground running.

Hell if you were closer I'd provide some honey for this egg laced meadstrosity.

...I like that sample cylinder btw.
Will do. And I appreciate the kindness of your offer, even though I don't live close to nowhere. If you see Courage the cowardly dog, say "Hi" for me, lol.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
I did use Champagne yeast with the CCCC wine. It was a slow ferment due to the high gravity (will check notes a bit later). I did lose perhaps 15% volume over time with racking and foam off the top. I will look at FG 'later today'.
You may actually want to step feed with creme egg-water, or use as topping up liquid. You will have gross fudge lees, so maybe make two gallons! I used a 12% chocolate cherry wine which had 4oz dry weight per gallon of Droste unsweetened cocoa powder in primary as my topping up liquid. But a traditional mead would be great for your.

I just thought the recipe would give you an idea, and an indication that it should work out. I would not use a sweet mead yeast on this, stuff is finicky as he11.

I would take a look at sugar carbs on the eggs vs the ccc's, just to get an idea.

Oh, and use a bucket for primary, you will be glad you did! I am going on an egg hunt tomorrow, will make a gallon with you!

Still think you will have a hit!
Sorry I missed you, I use a bucket for all my primaries. It just makes everything easier. And about the yeast, may I ask why not and what you recommend in its place?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner240 View Post

Sorry I missed you, I use a bucket for all my primaries. It just makes everything easier. And about the yeast, may I ask why not and what you recommend in its place?
Every time I work with sweet mead yeast it takes an enormously long time to ferment, to the point that you think you stalled. And I know mead can take a bit to drop those final points, but this was way beyond that norm...but with mead it is set it and forget it! It worked out, I just hated thinking I was in a stall.
If you are going high gravity, step feed the must, staggered nutrient. Plus, the smack pack one always fizzles out and I end up pitching a pkg of K1. The White Labs works better for me. But it would make for a nice mead, but there are other options out there. Pasteur Champagne turned out well in the CCCC wine. I know Cote de Blanc does well with chocolate ferments, and K1V. Here is yeast chart... http://winemakermag.com/guide/yeast, I use it frequently when crafting, plotting an OG with goal of alc toxicity and a residual sugar.

For those inquiring minds.. Each 34gm egg also has 25g sugar. The fondant filling of the egg includes sugar, corn syrup, vanillin, invert sugar and a small amount of egg whites and the artificial coloring Yellow Number 5. The milk chocolate used in the egg is made from sugar, cocoa butter, milk, chocolate, vanilla and soya lecithin.

QueenAnn Dark Choc Cherry Cordials, serving size 38gm, aka two pieces, which has 25g sugar. Ingredients: Sugar, Dark Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Anhydrous Milk Fat, PGPR [an Emulsifier], Soya Lecithin [an Emulsifier], and Vanillin [An Artificial Flavor], Milk), Cherries (Cherries, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor, FD&C Red 40, Potassium Sorbate [preservative], Sodium Benzoate [preservative], and Sulfur Dioxide [preservative]), Corn Syrup, Dark Coating (Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils, Cocoa, Chocolate, Soya Lecithin [an Emulsifier]), Invertase, Artificial Flavor.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I was so tired last night, I should have remembered the basics and gone back to the yeast section in my copy of the complet meadmaker. Thank you for your suggestions, and I think that I will go with the Cote de Blanc in hopes for the residual sweetness that I am aiming for. I'm going to try to get this together this weekend. I think that I am going for 3# of the orange blossom (111 pts) and 16 eggs (~33 pts, total estimated gravity is 1.144) in primary along with the acid blend and the staggered nutrients.

EDIT Since an SG of 1.110 is 14.3% (the yeast tolerance), and I would have a projected SG of 1.144, the final should end up around 1.034. Would this be too sweet? I mean, this is kinda what I am aiming for. Thoughts on the residual sweetness?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner240 View Post

EDIT Since an SG of 1.110 is 14.3% (the yeast tolerance), and I would have a projected SG of 1.144, the final should end up around 1.034. Would this be too sweet? I mean, this is kinda what I am aiming for. Thoughts on the residual sweetness?
My FG on CCCC is 1.030

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
My FG on CCCC is 1.030
Awesome. I'm thinking of going with a pound less of honey and using eggs to substitute the points for more flavor.

Quick Reply