Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Cadbury Egg Easter Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Unferth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner240 View Post
Well what if when I added the egg mixture to the must, I (forgive me here) boiled some water, honey and eggs and skimmed the top to get rid of the solids and perishables? Or just boiled some water with the eggs in it and skimmed that, and added the honey afterwards?
I don't think they actually have egg parts in them. My wife makes a homemade version and uses corn syrup. Are you going to break the shells or just let the yeasties find the goo themselves?

You might be able to skip the yeast nutrient as these things are so darn nutritious

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
mooney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I were you I would just scoop out the middle of The eggs and use that sweet white and yellow stuff that's so good for dunking chips in to back sweeten and find some thing else for the chocolate cos cadburys chocolate is not even chocolate its just brown milk which can't be good for mead.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sara, I think that I just hit the jackpot with that recipe, thank you very much! So what you're saying here is that I should look into MORE Cadbury Creme eggs per gallon? I see that 510 grams = 1.12 #'s, and they used 8 #'s per gallon. If I went with 8 #'s of eggs that would be around 107 eggs total, and I think that may be a bit much...lol (I know that I'm comparing apples to oranges here). With that in mind, what I would think is a more reasonable quantity would be around maybe, say... 50 eggs total per gallon and cut the honey back to 1 to 1.5 #'s? Which would effectively be 10 eggs per 750ml bottle, and that sounds to me like it would turn out very sweet. That conundrum aside, I think that I will follow the process of pouring boiling water over the eggs to melt them and introduce the rest of the ingredients to the must after cooling to room temperature. The recipes are close enough that I may consider following closely to the racking schedule described in the CCCC mead. And as for the STA, maybe just add a bit of nutrients to the initial must before the pitching of the yeast, just to help things along. And mooney, backsweetening with just the gooey centers sounds like a good idea too. This is really coming together nicely.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While I don't have 50 let alone 100 eggs in front of me I can't imagine the mass of either fitting into a one gal jug. Have they gotten smaller than I remember?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #15
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
While I don't have 50 let alone 100 eggs in front of me I can't imagine the mass of either fitting into a one gal jug. Have they gotten smaller than I remember?
I was going to pour boiling (or near boiling) water over them to melt them.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #16
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Melting them wasn't what I was questioning. It was the fact that I just don't see how you are going to get 50+ eggs, water to melt them and honey all in a one gal jug. Not to mention room for fermentation.

If you said jelly beans or skittles, no problem but eggs are more like a golf ball...or a small actual egg.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #17
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Melting them wasn't what I was questioning. It was the fact that I just don't see how you are going to get 50+ eggs, water to melt them and honey all in a one gal jug. Not to mention room for fermentation.
Ah, I see. I got ahead of myself here. May be I should back off of 50 eggs to something like 10 -15 and backsweeten with the melted eggs/water to fill headspace?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #18
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Instead of back sweetening I would go the opposite route and put all the fermentables in at the beginning. Start with a real high gravity that so there's no way the yeast can eat it all. That way you could eliminate the possibility of restarting fermentation when adding more fermentables on the back end.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #19
tuner240
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Instead of back sweetening I would go the opposite route and put all the fermentables in at the beginning. Start with a real high gravity that so there's no way the yeast can eat it all. That way you could eliminate the possibility of restarting fermentation when adding more fermentables on the back end.
About how high should I go with the gravity reading for the initial ferment to allow for some residual sweetness? I understand that this will be different for each yeast and is a broad question, but a ballpark would be appreciated. I've come to an understanding that letting them go dry and backsweetening is a good practice to prevent restarted fermentation.

EDIT Okay, so I think that I answered my own question with a little research here:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=93648
So, knowing that the White Labs Liquid Sweet Mead Yeast can go to 15% abv, in a 5 gallon batch I would need 15 #'s to finish the yeast dry with no sweetness, and 18#'s total to leave 24 pts of residual sweetness, or a final gravity of 1.024 since each additional pound of honey adds ~8pts of gravity (Of course these values can be divided by 5 to get amounts for a 1 gallon batch). Now to figure out how to calculate the quantity of fermentables in the eggs.

Or I could just slowly add the melted egg mixture to the must to get the desired gravity measurement needed to give residual sweetness to the mead. I got it know. Sorry for writing down my thoughts and whatnot here, just makes it easier for me to come back to later.

brewingmeister, thanks for putting me on the right track.

Reason: enlightenment lol

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #20
ThirstyVine
Recipes 

When you make this it would be great if you could post pictures of the process plus the finished product in the fermenter. Also an updated recipe of what you use and do would be great.

Quick Reply