Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Buying Bulk Honey
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Buying Bulk Honey

Who has everyone dealt with?
I was looking to purchase from here as it was the best price I could find. Anyone with any experience with them?

My local guy only sells some sort of wildflower blend he wont specify and I can only buy 1 gallon at a time for 2.5$ a lb. He also said he wont be selling even in the gallon bulk til the spring when he has a new harvest so I will be s.o.l.

__________________
bubbachunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
MultumInParvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 791
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I have no experience with mead, or buying honey, but I have been watching prices. I am quite confident you'll be hard pressed to beat those prices. The best I have seen is like 35 bucks for 12 gallons.

Best of luck to you!

__________________
MultumInParvo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Posts: 4,311
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

IIRC, Dutch Gold is processed clover honey, pretty much what's used in millions of commercial honey bear types. One LHBS here sells it.

Try to find an apiary using honeylocator, you might find one a little closer to you. Last I bought honey (summer time) it was about $2/lb when buying in 5g buckets. I'm sure based on the honey crop report that prices will go up until it's back in season again next year.

__________________
http://www.survivalsupplyhq.com
jezter6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Posts: 4,311
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cford1 View Post
I have no experience with mead, or buying honey, but I have been watching prices. I am quite confident you'll be hard pressed to beat those prices. The best I have seen is like 35 bucks for 12 gallons.

Best of luck to you!
I think you mean $35 for 12 pounds...12 gallons would be something like 144 pounds, which for $35 would be a STEAL.
__________________
http://www.survivalsupplyhq.com
jezter6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6 View Post
IIRC, Dutch Gold is processed clover honey, pretty much what's used in millions of commercial honey bear types. One LHBS here sells it.

Try to find an apiary using honeylocator, you might find one a little closer to you. Last I bought honey (summer time) it was about $2/lb when buying in 5g buckets. I'm sure based on the honey crop report that prices will go up until it's back in season again next year.
Most are 3-4 hours away and only finding 2.5-3$ a pound.
__________________
bubbachunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 587
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Best I have is Madhava's In Lyons, CO. Wholesale prices for a 42 pound bucket for $81.50+$4 for bucket deposit. You need to convince them that you wont be reselling it to get the prices or have a resale liscence. Simple thing to do Just a small bottle of your mead will do. They are very freindly. That is if you are in the Denver/Boulder area in Colorado. You may find local bee keepers too.

__________________
Matrix4b is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
MultumInParvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 791
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6 View Post
I think you mean $35 for 12 pounds...12 gallons would be something like 144 pounds, which for $35 would be a STEAL.
Ha, woops. You're right. Wrong word.
__________________
MultumInParvo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,951
Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Honey at Sam's is $9.99 for 5#...$2/lb by my calculations...

__________________
HB Bill
homebrewer_99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
JeremyCT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tempe
Posts: 52
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Something to consider....
harvest your own honey -- beekeeping for beginners

$350 dollar initial investment + 30 hours a year = 100 - 200 pounds of honey per year.

This is banked in my mind as a serious potential future investment.

__________________
JeremyCT is offline
NZ-beekeeper Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
bubbachunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fort Smith
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCT View Post
Something to consider....
harvest your own honey -- beekeeping for beginners

$350 dollar initial investment + 30 hours a year = 100 - 200 pounds of honey per year.

This is banked in my mind as a serious potential future investment.
I would love to but as a college student I can't really do that
__________________
bubbachunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Bulk Hops Badger39 Recipes/Ingredients 5 10-15-2013 03:43 PM
Is anyone else buying hops in bulk? Poindexter General Beer Discussion 31 11-01-2007 12:56 AM
Buying in Bulk TheJadedDog Recipes/Ingredients 5 03-20-2007 12:08 AM
Bulk Buying compact007 Extract Brewing 5 10-14-2006 03:04 AM
Buying in Bulk Eric Stephenson Recipes/Ingredients 14 12-05-2005 04:19 PM