Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bulk Aging Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
nelsongg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
If you want to carbonate it and you think the yeast has shuffled off this mortal coil, you can always pitch new yeast at bottling.
If I'm only bottling a gallon (maybe two), how much yeast do I use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsongg View Post
If I'm only bottling a gallon (maybe two), how much yeast do I use?
You don't need much, even for 5 gallons... the real question is, though, what are you going to do with the rest of the yeast if not this?

More yeast won't hurt anything. They won't reproduce all that much fermenting the priming sugar, you'll probably get a little more sediment than you normally would, but it won't ruin anything.

If you're nervous about it, you can easily use probably a quarter of a packet without any risk, but I've not done it myself. I'd use the whole packet just to be certain, but I don't mind sediment.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #13
nelsongg
Recipes 

I'm OK with a little toothpaste at the end of a bottle too. Thanks for the info.

Greg

Quick Reply