Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Buckwheat Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
I'm not sure I'm following you on not starting it that high(it's too late now but I'm curious anyway). Would you normally start with a lower gravity must, start the fermentation and then add more honey/water as needed to get to where you wanted to be in terms of alcohol and sweetness? If so, how do you normally calculate the additions?
Yes, that's exactly what I do. I prefer to keep the gravity down to about 1.100 to start, then once I get to the 1/3 sugar break, that's when I add any further honey and the final nutrients etc as I'm happy that the ferment is progressing well.

I don't bother calculating per se, I make small additions and then test with a hydrometer, but keep a "weather eye" on the increases.

For instance, I know that a starting gravity of 1.100 will give me about 13.5% ABV, and an addition of a further 30 points at the 1/3rd sugar break will give a total initial gravity of 1.130, which if fermented down to 1.000 is a drop of 130 points, which equates to about 17.6% ABV

So you just need to remember the SG, then add the amount added at 1/3rd break to the SG and you've the number for calculation when it's finished to know where the mead has got to.

Just that I use "Bob's table" over at WaH to work the gravity to % ABV conversion, but just remember to take hydrometer readings when making any additions, and keep 'em small, to prevent any ferment problems....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
shanes66charger
Recipes 

While I'm new to mead and by no means questioning anyones advice........I have made 3 batches and everyone had a gravity WELL over 1.100..........pitched in EC-118, 2 tsp's nutrient, swirled/degassed every day for the first week and all 3 fermented down to 1.000 and lower.

Again, I'm very new at this but just tossing my experience {so far} into the rink!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

So I was digging the Christmas decoration boxes out of the closet, and stumbled across a few bottles of this I had purposely tucked away to forget about(which worked because I did forget about them). Anyway, this was made on 12/11/2010, almost 2 years ago. I originally wasn't impressed by it, the buckwheat was WAY too overpowering, even at the 1 year mark. However, I am now sitting back and enjoying this one. It took 2 years, but this one mellowed nicely and is possibly one of my favorite meads to date even though it's a tad sweeter than I normally like Though I now only have 3 more 12oz bottles of it left, should've done a 5 gallon batch

The recipe was posted already, but here are the numbers:
SG: 1.155
FG: 1.034
ABV: 16.06

For those of you considering a buckwheat mead, I'd definitely recommend it if you have the patience to give it a couple years of aging!

Quick Reply