Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Buckwheat Honey....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
FrayAdjacent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Buckwheat Honey....

I started my second 1 gal batch of mead a couple weeks ago using some canned blackberries (no preservatives, just blackberries in sugarwater) and 3lb of Walker's Honey from Texas. It has a nice chocolaty note which I think should end up interesting with the blackberries.

Anyway, I checked their site and lo and behold they aren't that far from home. In fact, a few weeks ago I rode right by their store on the way to the meadery I visted out in LaGrange.

So on their site, they have some buckwheat honey that looks real dark... I'm thinking I may get 3lb and try a gallon batch of traditional mead. I have in mind to do a few 1 gal batches using identical recipes, but using different honey. Try some clover honey in one, orange blossom in another, blueberry in yet another.... I wonder how buckwheat will taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 761 Times on 534 Posts
Likes Given: 2016

This might help: http://www.honeylocator.com/locator/varietals/floral-profile/Buckwheat/
Regards, GF.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Buckwheat honey will at first give off a lot of off-flavors, and be very acrid and off-putting. With a bit of aging, though, the strong, dark honey flavor will start to come through, the off-flavors mellow out, and you'll be left with a delicious, hearty mead.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
PBruske234
Recipes 

Havent tried the buckwheat but I can say orange blossom is worth every penny. Let me know how this turns out!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
FrayAdjacent
Recipes 

I think I may get a 3lb jar and make a 1 gallon batch. If it tastes a little off early on, I'll just stick it in the back of the closet for a year or two.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
I started my second 1 gal batch of mead a couple weeks ago using some canned blackberries (no preservatives, just blackberries in sugarwater) and 3lb of Walker's Honey from Texas. It has a nice chocolaty note which I think should end up interesting with the blackberries.

Anyway, I checked their site and lo and behold they aren't that far from home. In fact, a few weeks ago I rode right by their store on the way to the meadery I visted out in LaGrange.

So on their site, they have some buckwheat honey that looks real dark... I'm thinking I may get 3lb and try a gallon batch of traditional mead. I have in mind to do a few 1 gal batches using identical recipes, but using different honey. Try some clover honey in one, orange blossom in another, blueberry in yet another.... I wonder how buckwheat will taste?
don't make a mead out of buckwheat honey, use it sparingly with other honey to add complexity to your mead but strait buckwheat mead will take 10 plus years to mellow I have been making mead for over 15 years. just my $0.02

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
I think I may get a 3lb jar and make a 1 gallon batch. If it tastes a little off early on, I'll just stick it in the back of the closet for a year or two.
ya may want to stick it in the closet til you retire...lol

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
FrayAdjacent
Recipes 

Hahaha... great input guys! Saved me from probably a mistake. Maybe I should get a small jar and add just a couple oz. per gallon with other honeys?

Luckily I've found a few places locally to get a good variety of different honeys. Found a place not far from home that sells a gallon of orange blossom honey for $42 and gallons of clove and wildflower honey for $36.

Also have a couple guys at work bringing me empty 1 gallon glass jugs. I'm going to use those for experimenting with various flavorings and honey types. My 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket will be employed later this month on a 5 gallon batch of a sweet traditional.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's unfortunate that buckwheat gets such a bad rap, because it does make good mead. My first brewing attempt (when I knew nothing about managing a ferment), I made a batch of buckwheat with champagne yeast that is quite good after only a few months of aging and about 15mins of breathing. I had a bottle last night in fact; delicious.

You should try brewing a gallon of just buckwheat to decide for yourself.

That said, orange blossom honey with champagne yeast is pretty damn good, too!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
str8wire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi-Jack Alert:
Fray,
I travel to The Grange often. What's the name/location of the meadery?
Thanks

There are no badder beers, just better beers.

Quick Reply