Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Brewing with Molasses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
rolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing with Molasses

Anyone have any experience brewing with molasses? I'm thinking about brewing something where the majority of the fermentable sugars come from molasses, unless the taste would be too strong. I'm also trying to think up things that would go well with it, as in what else to add other than just molasses.

Any ideas? Anyone know the SG for molasses?

Primary: 'Radical' Amber Ale, Orange Peel Mead, Acerglyn
Seconday: 'Monster Maibock' kit, with extra Munich malt
Bottled: Lagered Wheat, Belgian Dubbel, Black Currant Apfelwein, Pomegranate-Cranberry wine
Planning: Wikingerblut mead, Citrus melomel, Hibiscus metheglin, something involving Molasses

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf View Post
Anyone have any experience brewing with molasses? I'm thinking about brewing something where the majority of the fermentable sugars come from molasses, unless the taste would be too strong. I'm also trying to think up things that would go well with it, as in what else to add other than just molasses.

Any ideas? Anyone know the SG for molasses?

might be too strong...
I know Turbinado sugar ("Sugar in the Raw" made right here in maui by the way...) leaves quite a bit of molasses/dark rum note if used in primary - I used 2 pounds in an Apfelwein recipe instead of corn sugar -and man... that Molasses/dark rum nose and flavor is definitely there. I even continue notice it after 2 pints, when I'm sloppy on the stuff. (it's not unpleasant -just VERY noticeable) I would think you would need to be careful with pure molasses -too much and it'll be way overpowering I would think.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
rolf
Recipes 

Using some molasses for an Apfelwein recipe sounds like a good idea. I might just use the turbinado sugar instead of molasses, or maybe one pound turbinado and one pound molasses. I haven't gotten a chance to look around and see the different grades of molasses I can get my hands on.

I haven't seen many non-beer recipes that use molasses, so I'm eager to try it, or to find out why no one brews with molasses.

Bottled: Lagered Wheat, Belgian Dubbel, Black Currant Apfelwein, Pomegranate-Cranberry wine
Planning: Wikingerblut mead, Citrus melomel, Hibiscus metheglin, something involving Molasses

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Using some molasses for an Apfelwein recipe sounds like a good idea. I might just use the turbinado sugar instead of molasses, or maybe one pound turbinado and one pound molasses. I haven't gotten a chance to look around and see the different grades of molasses I can get my hands on.

I haven't seen many non-beer recipes that use molasses, so I'm eager to try it, or to find out why no one brews with molasses.
I'd do a 1 gallon test batch...

In Hawaii Basic Applejuice (house brand) is not cheap... 7.99 a gallon ...Good applejuice (Treetop) is worse... 8.99 gallon, better applejuice (martinellis) is real expensive 10.99 a gallon - and the healthfood store brands (good stuff AND comes in 1 gallon glass) is just STUPID @ 15.00 a gallon.

don't even ask what I paid each for 4 quart bottles of knudsen blueberry juice.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't make a drink from straight molasses. Reportedly, it tastes like the worst dark rum you can buy, and they distill it to flush out a lot of the bad flavors. If you're in a place where you can distill your drinks to make rum, maybe. Otherwise, I'd find something else to make.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

A little molasses goes a long way. I've used as much as 10 oz in a 5 gallon batch of cyser & it was right on the edge as far as overpowering the honey. I'd think fermenting just molasses & water would taste like a really nasty rum. Regards, GF.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
rolf
Recipes 

Ok, so I'll use it as a flavoring agent, more of an adjunct role.

I was searching through the forum, and it seems that every once in a while someone tries to ferment molasses. They then get told that molasses is only good for making rum. Kind of funny.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any luck with the molasses idea?

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
rolf
Recipes 

Haven't gotten around to it yet, I've run out of primaries.

Hopefully I can get my hands on some cheap 1 gal ones, and then I can get more experiments going.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #10
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Haven't gotten around to it yet, I've run out of primaries.

Hopefully I can get my hands on some cheap 1 gal ones, and then I can get more experiments going.
well you can buy a gallon of topshelf applejuice in a gallon glass jug - pour off a quart, add a FEW ounces of high grade molasses, and a can of concentrate - top off for headspace with what you poured off (drink the rest with breakfast) and pitch it with the yeast of your choice and see what she does... you'll be out 15 dollars max AND end up with a nice "exparamental" glass gallon jug. the narrow mouth jugs take a #7 stopper... IIRC - the wides take a #9 I think.
DO EET!!!

Redhook ESB clone

Quick Reply