Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bread Floaters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
MeadWitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Bread Floaters

Moved my Prickly Pear Mead into the kitchen tonight in anticipation of reracking it tomorrow afternoon. I sloshed it a bit from one room to the next and the next thing I know I have what looks like big chunks of bread floating to the top of my mead. This is the first time in 10+ years this has ever happened to me. Granted it is my first time making prickly pear mead, so this could be normal (or not). Here are some pics:

prickly-pear-mead_001.jpg

prickly-pear-mead_002.jpg

prickly-pear-mead_003.jpg

prickly-pear-mead_004.jpg

Look normal right?

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

If I just saw those big globs floating on the surface, I'd think you have a mycoderma contamination. However, if those are chunks of fruit that were sitting on the bottom and got stirred up by moving then there is probably nothing to worry about and you can let it settle/clear, than rack as desired.

I would suggest that you not keep that much headspace in your storage containers as it is an open invitation to spoilage organisms.

Medsen

Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks Medsen for the comment. I might have panicked a bit too soon. Got up this morning and the chunks had settled back down on the bottom of the carboy. The mead is very clear and you can read the proverbage newspaper thru it. I think the chucks are yeast & prickly pear pulp that have adhered togother and just settled. The mead smells slightly yeasty and sweet at the same time, which is a good thing.

I knew that someone was going to comment on the headspace and was going to type the following but at 1:30 am I was just to tired, so here it goes: that much headspace has only been there for 3 weeks, been waiting for another gallon jug to come open. I usually do not leave that much head space but when that is the only carboy you have that is empty, it will have to suffice for the time being. Will be reracking this today, as well as the jalapeno peach mead, then bottling some Vanilla JAOM.

Thanks again for the comment!

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Quick Reply