New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bray's One Month Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #71
JSappenf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveofrose View Post
I don't know if you guys are familiar with Joes Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM) or not, so let me explain it. In JAOM, the recipe explicitly states if you change the recipe in any way, you void all warranty.

The BOMM is no different.

If you change, exclude, substitute, omit, or otherwise, it may not work!
It is possible that it will work, but no guarantee !

Edit: I use Ozarka spring water. I find trace nutrients in the water are very important for clearing and yeast health.

Potassium carbonate is extremely important. I would not start without it. I operate under the mantra "Do it right, or don't do it at all". I made a lot of mead before potassium carbonate and around 60% stalled. Never tried it with 1388, so all bets are off.
I guess I will be checking the final specific gravity. I will publish my possibly minor alterations if it works, I guess if it doesn't, it will serve as a warning....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #72
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveofrose View Post
#49 post on this thread contains the results of the Belgian ale experiment. You are welcome to try one of those yeast, but they were not as good as Wyeast 1388. I merely want you to drink the best mead possible. I do not see answering questions or helping fellow mead makers as a waste of time. I am sorry if I made you feel that way.
Thanks, I read through the thread, but I must have overlooked that. I want to drink nothing but the best mead as well and just wanted to have a batch ready by Christmas (poor planning on my part). The closest HBS that has this yeast is not worth the drive or the $8 on top of the price of the yeast to have it shipped. That is why I was inquiring about other options. I will just have to play around with what I have available and see what happens...

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #73
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Ok, got my potassium carbonate today and made a batch of this using 2lb 8oz north dakota clover honey. OG came out to 1.100. I made a second batch I'm dubbing jBOMM (my name is Jackson) using nottingham dry yeast. I completely expect the BOMM original to be better but I had exactly 2.5lb's honey left over and some nottingham, figured what the heck right?

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #74
loveofrose
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Ok, got my potassium carbonate today and made a batch of this using 2lb 8oz north dakota clover honey. OG came out to 1.100. I made a second batch I'm dubbing jBOMM (my name is Jackson) using nottingham dry yeast. I completely expect the BOMM original to be better but I had exactly 2.5lb's honey left over and some nottingham, figured what the heck right?
Lots of folks use Nottingham yeast. I've never done a side by side with 1388, so please let us know your tasting notes at 1 month!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #75
mastersplinter5
Recipes 

Total noob to meads. I would really like to try to make a 1 gallon batch of this. I was having trouble clarifying the amount or wyeast to use for a 1 gallon batch. Do I use a whole smack pack for 1 gallon?

Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #76
loveofrose
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersplinter5 View Post
Total noob to meads. I would really like to try to make a 1 gallon batch of this. I was having trouble clarifying the amount or wyeast to use for a 1 gallon batch. Do I use a whole smack pack for 1 gallon?
That is correct. Smack the pack and let it go 2 hour to overnight, then pitch the entire pack in. Try to get every drop. I generally sanitize the corner, then cut it small enough that the nutrient packet doesn't come flying out with the yeast!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #77
Atek
Recipes 

Just curious if you've tried hopping this? I have some challenger hops... I'm considering doing another batch in a month (crosses fingers) and dry hopping... Iv heard dry hopping does not age well though as the flavors dissipate quickly. What if I boil with just water then let it cool and add the honey and remaining ingredients? If this turns out to be 1 month then indeed this helps those who like to try new things, also kills the wallet since mead can be made faster :-)

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #78
loveofrose
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Just curious if you've tried hopping this? I have some challenger hops... I'm considering doing another batch in a month (crosses fingers) and dry hopping... Iv heard dry hopping does not age well though as the flavors dissipate quickly. What if I boil with just water then let it cool and add the honey and remaining ingredients? If this turns out to be 1 month then indeed this helps those who like to try new things, also kills the wallet since mead can be made faster :-)
I've not tried hopping this. I certainly will not discourage experimentation!
Let me know how it turns out!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #79
Atek
Recipes 

Just some notes on this, already noticed in just the day these have been going the 1388 is off to a faster start, degassing the meads the 1388 appears to be more vigorous and less easily strained. I say less easily strained as the nottingham has subtle but noticeable sulfur odors coming off of it. I will not change the treatment of this mead to correct this. I will continue to treat both meads the same.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #80
mastersplinter5
Recipes 

So I got a 1 gallon batch going. When I shake, how do I go about it without having an Mead explosion? Is foaming normal? Should I shake with the airlock on?

Quick Reply