Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bray's One Month Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #21
natureboy68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wonder how this would work with Trader Joes mesquite honey? Gotta try it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #22
loveofrose
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So far, I've tested the BOMM with orange blossom, palmetto, and tupelo honey. All were successfully delicious at 10 days! Especially the tupelo. Mmmmmm tupelo mead...

Let me know how the mesquite works out!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #23
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hey Bray, you missed a few noobish questions on page 2, if ya don't mind. I just added a round of nutrients and wanted to make a word of caution to any other noobs who may be lurking and trying this...

When you aerate your wort...DO NOT shake the bottle...I had a freaking geyser that blew the stopper out...did not realize this stuff was carbonated lol....finished mopping the kitchen just now...even had to wipe down the ceiling...no kidding!

Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #24
loveofrose
Recipes 

Sorry. My fault. Although, no one ever told me either...
Rite of passage? In any event, start shaking slow and wait for it to calm. Repeat until it is significantly less bubbles. You will never get them all!

Also, be sure to do this before, I repeat, before you add nutrients. Even then, add the nutrients slowly!

Anyhow, welcome to your first MEA (Mead Explosion Accident).
You are officially a mazer!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #25
loveofrose
Recipes 

Default Cyser BOMM

Currently testing a cyser BOMM. Recipe below:

Cyser BOMM
Start with 1 gallon of sprouts apple cider.
Remove 2.33 cups of juice to compensate for volume of other ingredients.
Added 2.4 oz dark brown sugar, 1.6 oz dates, and 1.33 cups orange blossom honey.
Added 1/2 tsp pectinase.
Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K; will add this again at 2/3 and 1/3 sugar break.
Add 1/6 tsp K2CO3
Shake like hell to mix honey and aerate.
SG - 1.094

Pitched a slurry of Wyeast 1388 from a recent ferment.

Plan for secondary:
Add 1 vanilla bean and 3 Hungarian oak cubes 1 week before bottling or to taste.

I'll let you know in a few weeks if it is tasty!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

If you dissolve the nutrients in a bit of water first, there will be far less MEA action, but you should still degas prior to adding any dry substances.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #27
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Okay, so I am over 24 hours since the 2nd nutrient round, put the airlock on. No more aeration? Stick it in a cool dark place for 3 weeks or more? Does temp matter, I have some ale in primary stage in a 60-65 degree fermentation chamber?

Or just leave it the hell alone for 3 weeks like the Joe's recipe?

When the time is up do I siphon the top off the sediment layer or mix it all together and drink? Bottle it up now and rack it for 20-25 days?

Sorry for stupid questions, I really don't know.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
loveofrose
Recipes 

1. No more aeration?
Still shake it everyday with the airlock on until you see signs of clearing, then leave it alone. This shaking is not for aeration. It is to help the yeast flocculate so that clearing occurs faster. You don't have to do this part if you don't care about clearing. Cloudiness does not affect the taste.

2. Stick it in a cool dark place for 3 weeks or more?
This depends on your will power. As soon as it hits 1.02 or below, it is ready to drink!

3. Does temp matter, I have some ale in primary stage in a 60-65 degree fermentation chamber?
In this one case, hotter is better. One guy over at gotmead kept his temperature at 78-80 F the whole ferment with no off flavors. Heat also helps it ferment faster.

3. When the time is up do I siphon the top off the sediment layer...
Generally, it will clear on its own... eventually. Mine seems to clear before 30 days, but other people say it has taken longer. I drink it clear or cloudy, but do avoid the gunk at the very bottom. When it is clear, you can bottle the clear part or you can put the whole jug in the fridge and drink as you wish. No judgement from me! It is safest to get it off the gross lees (translation: gunk on the bottom) so I would suggest it for you first batch.

4. Sorry for stupid questions, I really don't know.
Stupid question is the one you didn't ask, screwed it up, and then blamed me.

By the way, what is your gravity and (more importantly) how does it taste?
I generally don't taste it until 1.02 or below because I dislike sweet, but for your first batch, tasting it at every step will let you see how it developed.
It also helps you determine what gravity is your favorite to drink!

Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #29
JRapp
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Only semi related question!

I have a beer right now in primary with 1388, a 5.6% belgian pale ale. I was looking for something to do to reuse the yeast with it once I bottle the beer and never thought of Mead.

In a few weeks my brew club has someone from a cider mill coming around with his truck and I can get some good local cider for fairly cheap, so I was debating making a Cyser, Would the 1388 work well for a Cyser? I was thinking of keeping it simple for my 1st mead recipe, thinking 5gal Cider and 7-10lb honey, depending on gravity of cider. Any thoughts? I was initially going for a white wine crispness but I really cant get enough of the Belgian yeasts.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #30
loveofrose
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRapp View Post
Only semi related question!

I have a beer right now in primary with 1388, a 5.6% belgian pale ale. I was looking for something to do to reuse the yeast with it once I bottle the beer and never thought of Mead.

In a few weeks my brew club has someone from a cider mill coming around with his truck and I can get some good local cider for fairly cheap, so I was debating making a Cyser, Would the 1388 work well for a Cyser? I was thinking of keeping it simple for my 1st mead recipe, thinking 5gal Cider and 7-10lb honey, depending on gravity of cider. Any thoughts? I was initially going for a white wine crispness but I really cant get enough of the Belgian yeasts.
If you look at post #25 in this thread, I've already given a full recipe. I am only 3 days in, so I cannot vouch for how good it is. I will say this: I don't waste honey unless I'm pretty damn sure it will turn out good. Too effin old for that sh|t!

On thing to keep in mind. Wyeast 1388 is rated for a max of 12% ABV. I would keep the gravity at or below 1.1 to avoid stressing the yeast. You can always backsweeten later!

Quick Reply