Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bottling time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Atek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

What was the recipe if you don't mind my asking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper1066 View Post
The OG could have been off, since I had used my beer hydrometer and not a proper wine hydrometer. I'm not super concerned about the numbers or % alcohol, I had just wanted to try my hand at making a interesting drink and this recipe looked tasty. I think I will bottle it as is, since fermentation seems to have been completed 8 months ago. I havent tried a sample since then, but I will once I bottle
However my palate is for beer, most wine tastes the same to me.
I don't think this will taste much like any wine you've had before! (It will be way better...) It is way stronger than almost any wine, and although people compare mead to certain wines, mead definitely has its very own flavor and aroma! Even a pyment will be very different from a wine made with the same grapes.

I'd recommend you give it a taste before going through the full bottling process -- if it's still harsh or has an unpleasant alcoholic presence, you may want to either wait until next Christmas to gift it (additional aging, especially of something so high in ABV, will definitely improve it -- even if it's good/drinkable now, it could be *great* in another year or two or five). Another option would be to consider a small amount of back-sweetening...even going to a minimally semi-sweet level (adding honey to get to a FG of ~1.010) can smooth out many rough flavors and "speed up the aging process" so to speak (although it will definitely continue to improve with aging).

You could even bottle half of it dry and stash it away to further age, and back-sweeten the rest to gift some and further age some of the sweetened too...

Make sure you attenuate with sorbate AND metabisulfate if you back-sweeten!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply