Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bottling mead - Caps vs Corking mead - either method superior?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
WinsomeLass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling mead - Caps vs Corking mead - either method superior?

Hello!

As the post count will reveal I'm a mead noob [hello!] with luck, hoping to start one by the end of the month.

I have done some reading and searching but am not sure what to think about bottling. Is using either using caps or corks superior to the other?

I have a bottle cap press - free, working, and to hand. I wasn't sure if that would be OK for mead. Schramm discusses it in his book and it seems fine, but I was just wanting to ask the community.

When reading about capping/bottling spirits - do the same concepts that apply to beer apply to mead? Or are they two different animals and I should just concentrate on mead-only resources?

Thank you for any help/advice/leads/links, I do appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

I'm not sure if there is a superior method. I've used crown caps, corks, Champagne, and filp-tops. I tend to use Champagne, caps, & flip-tops for carbonated mead, and corks for still mead.

Regardless of the bottling method, I've never had any problems...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
DragonTail

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've capped and corked my meads.
If I carbonate them, them I definitely cap them, I haven't tried the cork and cage thing yet.
My still meads get corked.
Some of every batch, a sixer, gets the 12oz capped deal, just in case they are great, and I want to enter them in a comp.

Michael Herrenbruck
Herrenbruck Brewery
L.C.Q. Racing

Old 03-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
WinsomeLass
Recipes 

Thank you both for the input! I was just reluctant to buy a corker when I've a bottle press to hand but want to do right by my future mead.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

IMO, mead is much more closely related to wine and that's why I've primarily used wine bottles and corks. After all, when you buy mead commercially, that's the way it's sold 90% of the time. Having said that, I too use crown caps on beer bottles, especially when bottling a half dozen "tasters" at bottling time to assess the mead's progress as it ages without having to uncork a full bottle. As the previous posters said, it all works, though corked wine bottles would be best for long term storage.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
WinsomeLass
Recipes 

Oh interesting. Why is corked better for long term? Better oxygen blocking?

I'm just trying to avoid the expense of a corker at the moment, though reusing wine bottles is easier for me than getting beer bottles. I do want to do what's best for the mead, though.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Yes, corks supply a better seal, assuming you have decent quality corks and you lay the bottles on their sides to prevent the corks from drying out. Bottles sealed with synthetic corks can remain upright but synthetics aren't as good a top quality corks, though still better than crown caps.

Crown caps are fine. If you don't want to spend the $$ for a corker, use crown caps and you'll be safe for a year, and perhaps even more. Remember that you can also crown cap most domestic sparkling wine bottels as well.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
WinsomeLass
Recipes 

Thank you summersolstice! I didn't know why bottles were kept on their side; now I know!

I won't be making huge batches so a year and perhaps more should work out OK. If this first batch ever gets made and is decent, I suspect I'll be giving a lot of it away.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
Delkarnu
Recipes 

If you are giving out bottles as gifts, I'd suggest corks. For people who don't know mead, they immediately associate it with wine, and won't be as shocked by the alcohol content if they drink it like wine and not beer. It also is better presentation for gifts, IMO.

Also better for long term storage for reasons listed above.

If they are for you, do what you want. I'd suggest making friends with someone who drinks Grolsh and give them a bottle for keeping you supplied with empties.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Cheesehead
Recipes 

I just bottled my first two meads a bit back. I went with corks and wine bottles (had the bottles, think corks are "traditional"). If you do go that way it was suggested to me to let the corks soak in water overnight to help get them into the bottles. I found that filling an empty jar, putting the corks in, topping with water and putting the cap on the jar let the corks soak up more water than just laying them in a bowl and hoping the drink up. BTW did you ever get your mead made? What did you end up with?

Quick Reply