Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > bottle pasteurizing melomel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default bottle pasteurizing melomel

I've had good luck backsweetening and bottle pasteurizing my ciders with no nocticeable change in the flavor profile; I'm wondering if I'll have the same luck with my strawberry melomel. I don't want to use anymore chemicals to stabilize before backsweetening, I'd prefer to just bottle pastuerize. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm confident it will work. I'm just worried about degrading the strawberry flavor. I can definitely taste when a commercial cider has been stabilized with chemicals. It's quite evident to me and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How are you bottle pasturizing?

Primary -
Conditioning - 5 gallons Oak Aged Sweet Tart Cherry melomel, 4 1 gallon variations of my Hops Mead.
Bottled - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Hefe, Godzilla IPA
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Are you stove top pasteurizing? I think it should be fine. Pasteurization takes away from the flavors a bit, but it does the job.

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I've been bottling and stove top pasteurizing. Honestly, I've never sorbated anything myself but I swear I can taste the difference between commercial examples and anything I homebrew. Maybe they are being overly cautious and using more than necessary but I'd prefer not to if I'll taste what's in those. I've also never pastuerized anything that's been corked, only capped.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Id be concerned that the pressure change from hearing them might cause the corks to shoot out... Maybe get the wire cages to hold them on if the will work on the bottles your using.

Primary -
Conditioning - 5 gallons Oak Aged Sweet Tart Cherry melomel, 4 1 gallon variations of my Hops Mead.
Bottled - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Hefe, Godzilla IPA
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK
Id be concerned that the pressure change from hearing them might cause the corks to shoot out... Maybe get the wire cages to hold them on if the will work on the bottles your using.
This will only matter if you're planning on carbonating. If not, just pasteurize before you cork to release pressure. Leave minimal headspace. And personally, when doing a mead, I usually add enough honey to kill off my yeast, and sweeten from there. Saves time and effort.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do like the idea of continually adding honey until the yeast dies off but I used KV-1116 on this and it tore through this melomel in 4 days. Went from 1.134 to .998 that quick. I don't really want it to go any higher than 18% to avoid a prolonged aging period. I am interested in using that technique to have a yest crap out around 12-14%. Any suggestion of a yeast to end around that ABV?

Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

All in d47 or 1122. My favorites. Or an ale yeast

Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bread yeast, sort of. *shrug*

Quick Reply