The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bochet Mead (burnt mead)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #161
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Its hard for some people to go outside their box and change the flavor of the honey so dramtically. We bottle our first batch made in a pressure canner Saturday morning, its got a deep mahogony color, tastes like caremal and almost tastes like a good burbon and very smooth. Putting some up in splits so we dont have to share an entire bottle everytime someone stops by WVMJ
I can also imagine making one on a commercial 200-1000 (yeah he's getting a 1000 gallon tank last I heard) Gallon scale would be a logistics issue with honey expansion during cooking.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 44
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #162
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Whoa, not cracking on any meadmakers! THere is one commercial meadmaker making what they call darkened mead, not sure how they do it but its commercially available, at least if you are close to them! WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
I can also imagine making one on a commercial 200-1000 (yeah he's getting a 1000 gallon tank last I heard) Gallon scale would be a logistics issue with honey expansion during cooking.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #163
WVMJ
Recipes 

Yes, we have previously caramelized sweetened condensed milk to make milk caramel in a pressure canner so I knew it should probably work with honey in theory. One nice thing is the water stays in the honey so you dont have to add it back to get it to flow. I doesnt of course produce the "burnt" marshmellow flavor or smokeyness. We plan on doing one of those batches over a hot flame in a big pot to compare the taste differences. I have a feeling the pressure cooked ones are a bit smother caramel flavor while the fire burnt method has more of the campfire marshmellow. Fortunately both would be great.. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
So did the canning effectively caramelize the honey?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #164
Calvus
Recipes 

The pressure canner works well. 80 min at 15psi. About 12lbs fits in 5 quart jars. The taste is toffee/caramel, a little toasted marshmallow, with dark coffee notes.

Oh and WVMJ. I did a batch of bananas also but only did water bath because I envisioned exploding lids. Glad I did though because when compressed in the jars, the bananas expanded exponentially. Didnt quite get that bananas foster I was after but it really enhanced the taste I thought. Let me know how pressure canning the nanners go if you puree them.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #165
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Could I use a regular pressure cooker? Do you need to use jars?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #166
WVMJ
Recipes 

Calvus, why did you think the bannana jars would explode? You just cooked them in the water bath, if you put them in the pressure canner it might have caramelized them some, I dont know, havent tried it yet, but whatever you put in the jar isnt going to explode in the canner, same pressure inside and outside.

Nice color on your Bochet honey.

WVMJ

Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #167
WVMJ
Recipes 

I used some pint jars in a pressure cooker and it worked fine, added a trivet on the bottom of the pot to keep the jars off of the bottom. I would guess that just adding honey into a cooker without it being in a jar would possibly somehow seal the vent by caking on it layer by layer and then BOOM. Send us a picture of your ceiling. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Could I use a regular pressure cooker? Do you need to use jars?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #168
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
I used some pint jars in a pressure cooker and it worked fine, added a trivet on the bottom of the pot to keep the jars off of the bottom. I would guess that just adding honey into a cooker without it being in a jar would possibly somehow seal the vent by caking on it layer by layer and then BOOM. Send us a picture of your ceiling. WVMJ
I'm not the master of pressure cookers by any means. but when I heat up water in the tea kettle it gains volume as it heats up (water level rises). I'd imagine that honey heating expansion + expansion from pressure would lead to what WVMJ says.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 44
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #169
WVMJ
Recipes 

That is just a guess on my part, but when you cook honey the proteins coagulate and clump up, I think that the protiens binding up and making a plug could be a real issue? Use jars, if any leaks out its just a little bit, not like putting it all in the pot loose. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
I'm not the master of pressure cookers by any means. but when I heat up water in the tea kettle it gains volume as it heats up (water level rises). I'd imagine that honey heating expansion + expansion from pressure would lead to what WVMJ says.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #170
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much water would you put in a pressure cooker around the pint jars? Also, do you need to seal the jars?

Quick Reply