Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bochet/Burnt Mead - My take

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Bochet/Burnt Mead - My take

So, I discovered the Bochet recently. I found an old recipe in wrote in ancient French, which I studied a bit when I was studying French Litterature. Anyway, I took this recipe that comes from the 14th century, and created down my own interpretation of it.

Please tell me what you think!

Going for a 2.5 Gallons batch

-6.5 lbs of Buckwheat Honey
-Ginger, cardamone, nutmeg and cloves
-1/8 lb beech smoked barley (Rauch Malz) (my addition)
-1/8 lb oak smoked wheat (my addition)
Lalvin K1 yeast

Honey caramelization: Heat up a cast iron cauldron, pour the honey in it, and let it caramelize until it stops creating foam and until the color is dark brown/black. Add some water and let it simmer to dissolve everything. I think it's better to pour it warm in the fermentator before it begins to harden, then add the rest of water to mix it well.

Malt processing: I will use them as steeping grain in the appropriate amount of water, and add it to the mead must.

Spices: I will probably add a tiny bit of each directly in the honey when it simmmers. Then adjust in the secondary, if needed, by cold infusing spices for few days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Unless you are dealing with a plastic bucket for a fermenter I wouldn't pour the honey in first, add some water and it will cool it down quick. The heat of the honey will break a glass carboy. Even then I wouldn't recomend it. I recomend adding at least equal volume of water, carefully. I did a Bochet this past sunday and it carmelized up nicely, but when I added room temp water the first few cups immediately vaporized and nearly scalded my hands. The honey didn't come up with the steam but it was enough. I added the rest of the water quickly and that does nicely to cool it down. I only carmelized 6 pounds of honey and added, after cooled down a bit, 6 more pounds of non-carmelized honey. It is still black as night. It took me 70 min to carmelize it. Also, keep an eye on it toward the end it browns up and blackens quickly.

Take a paper plate and put a dot of the honey on it every 10 min after the first 15 or so of boiling. You will see the color change and know when it is almost dark enough. I went to a nice deep chocolate brown color. Also, it starts almost getting done when you get puffs of smoke rather than puffs of steam, for me it was about 20 mins from done. Stiring foamed honey is a trip too. I decided to keep it moving to keep it evenly carmelized.

Just some suggestions. Also, do it inside if you can, I hear that the bees and wasps come running at the smell of it. It is best that I did it inside and in winter.

Hope it works well for you.
Matrix

Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I will take your advices. I was already planing to do it inside. My cast iron cauldron isn't that big, so I couldn't add that much water. Maybe I could take a bigger one, but it would be a stainless steel one. I guess it would work just fine. Then I could be able to add way more water to cool it.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux
I will take your advices. I was already planing to do it inside. My cast iron cauldron isn't that big, so I couldn't add that much water. Maybe I could take a bigger one, but it would be a stainless steel one. I guess it would work just fine. Then I could be able to add way more water to cool it.
Be careful if your pot is not VERY big. The honey bubbles up to 7-10 times the original volume. Even on low heat it will do it. And the foam doesn't go down quickly when the heat is off, so if your pot is too small it will overflow quickly and you won't be able to coarse correct quickly enough to keep from having a mess to clean up.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack View Post
Be careful if your pot is not VERY big. The honey bubbles up to 7-10 times the original volume. Even on low heat it will do it. And the foam doesn't go down quickly when the heat is off, so if your pot is too small it will overflow quickly and you won't be able to coarse correct quickly enough to keep from having a mess to clean up.
ok then I'll guess I'll go with my big stainless pot. thanks!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is the video many of us who've made Bochet learned from.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This is the video many of us who've made Bochet learned from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoPbfJ3BwwM
Yhea, I have seen it. That about the type of cauldron I have, but since I will be using over 6 lbs of honey, it will probably overboil, as it's been said. I'll juste to it on my stove in a stainless pot.

Quick Reply