Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Blueberry Pyment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Default Blueberry Pyment

Want to make wine but honey sounds more appealing than adding sugar to a fruit wine. So for a 2.5-3 gal batch Im thinking of 5# honey, 1 can of grape juice concentrate or some kind of grape juice maybe and like 3 64 oz of bluberry juice if I can find it. Trying not to make it difficult but still good. Probably want to hit a 1.10ish gravity.

Im considering to do secondary with blueberrys maybe also but would rather make it more simple. Ive heard of the concentrate needs to be vaccume extracted processed to be good for wine or something, so not shure about what to get.Im not shure If I want to deal with fruit and that campden-which im unshure of, to sanitize it and alot of those chemicals kind of freak me out a little bit that is added to wines and such.

I have montarachet yeast also,is this ok for this type of mead? As far as now I preferr off dry or semi-sweet,and dont care to be stabilizeing and backsweetening either with the use of more chemicals.
Any suggestions in getting what Im going for here with blueberry-Pyment with ratios of juices, using some grape(juice /concentrate) as far as simplicity with a quality result, is greatly appreaciated.

Also what is better? frozen grapejuice concentrate vs.jarred grape juice from concentrate vs jarred whole concord grape juice not from concentrate, and found jarred 100% bluberry juice but made from concentrate-havent found frozen bluberry juice concentrate yet or Jarred whole bluberry juice not from concentrate.RW-Knudsens stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 25

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/awes...ry-wine-33206/
This is the recipe I use and it turns out very good. You could probably substitute honey for the sugar

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

So Im thinking now for a 3 gal or less batch: Adding 5# of what will probably be local wildflower honey.2 cans of frozen cascade farms(WA)grape concentrate 2 quarts of Jarred-pasturized bluberry juice-from concentrate? Maybe just one then another quart of pasturized jarred blueberry juice(from concentrate) in secondary?. I have montorachet yeast but is not my first choice and can get something a little less attunative which I would prefer.Primary a month. Then rack and top off with a quart of blueberry juice/and or some frozen blueberries like a pound or whatever will almost max out my secondary,then rack again after so many more months,maybe longer the better? Ive seen some pyment recipes with fruit(in the compleat meadmaker) doing about 7 months total before bottleing.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Any ideas for a ratio of honey to grape to blueberry on a 3 gal batch? Im now thinking 6-7 # honey 2 cans of quality organic frozen grapejuice concentrate,probably like2 quarts of bluberry juice from concentrate for primary. Then like 2 more quarts of blueberry juice in secondary? I got some better yeast like Narbone 1122 thats good for melomels that Ill use. ARe frozen concentrate juices better than bottled whole juices for wines/pyments/melomels?
Do I need to sulfite frozen blueberrys if I decide to use them in secondary? even if I sanitize a blender and purree it and sanitize a bag to use it in?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Lungus
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I didn't sulfite the frozen cherries I put in my melomel. I can't remember if they had already been sulfited at the processing plant or not. I think the frozen concentrates might be better for backsweetening and adding fruit flavour later because a little bit will go a long way. For fermenting I like whole bottled juices.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungus View Post
I didn't sulfite the frozen cherries I put in my melomel. I can't remember if they had already been sulfited at the processing plant or not. I think the frozen concentrates might be better for backsweetening and adding fruit flavour later because a little bit will go a long way. For fermenting I like whole bottled juices.
So if I add bluberry juice concentrate later in secondary it will pretty much ferment out and not leave any sweetness but maybe a bit more flavor? How do you backsweeten exactly. Its the part Im unshure of and afraid of leaving any kind of residual sweetness, guess I will just have to get sulfite and potassium sorbate if I want any kind of sweetness? Ive had number of commercial good sweet/semi sweet fruit/ wines/meads and they are all sulfited. Is this just something Im going to have to do if I want to encorporate any kind of sweetness?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Lungus
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you want to sweeten the mead and not ferment the concentrate you must still the must. Once fermentation has stopped, when your hydrometer readings have been stable for more than a week, you rack it onto metabisulfate and potassium sorbate according to the directions to still the yeast so fermentation won't restart and then let it sit a few days to do it's thing and add the concentrate until it tastes the way you like. If you don't want to sulfite and sorbate it, you could step feed until the yeast poops out and you have the sweetness you want

Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

I dont know what the **** Im doing.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I dont know what the **** Im doing.
No, its just that as a newer mead maker you're struggling with more variables than you expect too see...

It seems more complex than first thought....

Yet its actually reasonably easy to narrow down method and technique when you identify what you actually want....

Fruity and fresh ? Fermented and more wine-like ? Sweet ? Dry ? Etc etc....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

jonmohno Likes This 
Old 09-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

My source of local honey never got back to me so I decided to make 2 one gallon batches. Ok so I made a blackberry wine and a blueberry melomel with some honey I already had.
Both are around 1.090 gravity.

I used 4# of commercial frozen fruit of each. I just thawed and mashed poured water and sugars (blueberry had mostly honey) on top, stirred then I decided to sterilize paintstrainer/grainbags to contain the pulp/mashed fruit later after realizing it might be a pain to rack off of it later if I leave the fruit loose like I was going to. I did not use sulfite-this ok with frozen fruit? Generally? I hydrated yeast and pitched shortly after the fruit thawed-so am I ok there?

Then pitched yeast/nutrient/energizer. But then I transfered it to sanitized pots by pouring it by filtering with the bag and tied it to contain the pulp-so now I have it contained. I stirred more,decided I needed more sugar in each so I did so to get to 1.090 gravity. I actually have them in large stainless steel pots,with weights on the lids(Im afraid of fruit flys). Ill open stir them daily. Maybe even get the bubbler out every day.

I plan on doing the squeeze bag method after a week and then transfer it to the one gallon fermenters. Is it ok to filter it by using a metal strainer and funnel and just pour it in when transferring or do I need to rack it into the fermenters? IN other words do I have to worry about aeration if its mostly fermented or more than 3/4 fermented or do I need to siphon it? My plan is to get them clean to the glass gallon fermenters with little head space. I may have some left over which I can sanitize and airlock a 16-32 or growler size bottle whichever I need then top off with that when I rack later again.

Also I forgot to add pectin enzymn and I misplaced it or cant find it at the moment,is that ok to add it later? Ive seen a lot of videos where they add it right away.Does it matter? I didnt boil the frozen fruit so,think I may be ok with that? Or I can add later if it doesnt clear very good?

Quick Reply